A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 296,709
Currently Running With Scissors:
546 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Shindig (Firefly/Serenity themed party) ideas  (Read 1513 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Kaylan
« on: June 10, 2006 07:11:29 PM »

I've been thinking about holding a shindig lately, since I never did get around to having my 21st (long story) and I was thinking about what sort of crafty things I could do to decorate the place. I mean, I've got basic ideas of things I can buy - paper lanterns, chopsticks and wooden bowls, that sort of thing, but I wasn't sure about the sort of things I could make for the party (other than costumes).

I suppose there's always sari-inspired fabric to make tablecloths out of I suppose, but does anyone have any ideas for things I could use to dress up the house Firefly/Serenity style?

Cheers! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CrashTestDuckie
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2006 10:58:44 PM »

Besides space dust? HAHA

This sounds weird but think Cowboy meets China.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
motoredxheart
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2006 08:51:42 AM »

this isn't really something you can make, but don't forget to serve strawberries.  Wink
hmm...sounds good in my head but not sure how this will actually work out.  anyway, you could seperate the room into different parts of the ship.  like one part could be the front and you could have a space view with a chair and wash's dinos everywhere.  then one part could be inara's room with a bunch of pillows and stuff.  you know what i mean right? 

sounds like it's going to be a great party.  i'm invited right?   Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kaylan
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2006 01:43:48 AM »

Ooh, that's a fantastic idea, motoredxheart Smiley And yeah, you're totally invited if you can get over to Australia Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Radegund
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2006 06:40:46 AM »

Here are some random brainstorms:

Get some cheap mismatched wooden chairs for extra seating.

If you have a color printer, print the Blue Sun logo on some stickers and stick them over the labels on any bags/cans of food/other commercial products that would be sitting out.

Post a "Management Not Responsible for Ball Failure" sign.  Grin

I once went to a large outdoor shindig where they had a pinata; it was an ordinary pinata, but someone stuck a "Fox TV Executive" sign on it and we all had fun whacking it vengefully with a stick.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tinydoom

*one of the ladies*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2006 07:04:56 AM »

For food, you can have "protein all colors of the rainbow", I know there are recipes on-line for Mudder's milk, oh, and fresh bao!
I think the idea of separating different parts of the room into different parts of the ship was awesome!
Maybe play tall card, that hoop ball type game, or horse shoes. 
It's been too long since I have had a shindig myself...have an awesome time!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Radegund
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2006 07:13:09 AM »

And of course you need Fruity Oaty Bars!

Ingredients:
3/4 cup softened butter
1 cup packed light brown sugar
1 1/2 cups rolled oats
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1 (10 ounce, or 12 if that's what the store has) jar fruit preserves

For the fruit preserves, I suggest a jar of Polaner All Fruit or some other fruit-only preserve. It's sweet but doesn't have additional corn syrup in it. You've got plenty of sweetness with the brown sugar.

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).

Grease a 9x13-inch pan.

Cream together the butter and brown sugar until smooth. Combine the oats, flour, salt and baking powder in a separate bowl, then stir them into the butter/sugar mixture. The final mixture will be very crumbly.

Press half (maybe a little more than half) of the mixture into the bottom of the prepared pan. You do need to put a little pressure on the mix to get it to form a good bottom layer.

Spread the preserves over the bottom layer. Crumble the rest of the mixture over the layer of preserves.

Bake your FOBs for 15 minutes and then check on them. Take them out when they're getting brown; in my oven, I find that the edges start to get really brown in about 15-18 minutes.  Cool the recipe completely before cutting it into bars; if you give in to the delicious smell and cut a piece while it is still warm, you will end up with fruity oaty mush (though it has occurred to me that fruity oaty mush on top of vanilla ice cream would be a yummy thing to try).

The bars tend to be crumbly, FYI.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kaylan
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2006 04:14:11 AM »

Oooh, fantastic! I'm certainly going to have to do some shopping and get myself organised, because this is really getting the creative juices flowing  Grin

I've already been planning to make a deck of tall cards, will have to get organised on that (time for a new printer, what better way to celebrate the colour ink that comes with it?) and may have to see if I can make rainbow coloured wrappers for the FOBs, like on the advert Wink If I were creative on the computer I'd make some Blue Sun adverts to run in a loop between episodes along with the FOB easter egg Smiley But alas, that's not my best area.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tattooedjess
Girly Crafty Goodness

Maker of Girly Essentials

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2006 07:59:00 PM »

June 23rd is Re-Unification day or Browncoats Unite day - perfect day for a Firefly/Serenity party

http://www.serenityjune23rd.com/
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Radegund
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2006 08:46:55 PM »

I have some Firefly Mad Libs that I wrote up one time.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Helping a Child Adjust to School Uniforms
Kids Clothing for All Seasons
Rough and Ready Sportswear for Kids
Mikoh Summer 2015 Miami Swim - Backstage, Interviews & Runway
Beach Bunny Swimwear Summer 2015 Miami - Backstage, Interviews & Runway
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...