A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News:  Vote now for your favorite craft challenge entry!  THREE amazing Ticketmaster prizes up for grabs this month.  Who will get one?
Total Members: 301,589
Currently Running With Scissors:
601 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Fibertrends Huggable Hedgehog! More Hedgies on page 3 :)  (Read 17764 times)
Tags for this thread: knit , hedgehog , amigurumi  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

aschnebly
I'm AliceKathryn on Ravelry :)

Yarnaholic

View Profile WWW
« on: June 10, 2006 02:20:19 PM »

Here's my new blue hedgie!  He is going to be sent off to my sister since she thought he was cute Smiley  This shows you a little more of how round he realy is supposed to be.  This time I didn't run out of yarn, and I used a more appropriate yarn for his back (Lion Brand Fun fur).  I think it worked a lot better than the Disco, since that kinda afro'd up and tangled on itself...

Ok, so I have never liked "fun fur" but right now I have the urge to go out and buy some in every color of the rainbow...

Only because I just finished this sweet little guy from Fiber Trends pattern 228x.   It arrived in the mail yesterday afternoon, and I just finished him moments ago!  I used some Patons Classic Merino wool, (in natural mix and chestnut) and the ball of Bernat DISCO that I got free from that free offer way back when (http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=50284.0)...

Here he is basking in the sun, he kind of looks like he's smiling from the lighting out there, but the only facial embellishments were the safety eyes and his nose, which is needle felted on.  He is about the size of a soccer ball, so he's quite large and round!

The pattern is SO AWESOME.  All of his shaping is done by short rows, which I had never done before this pattern, and now I am an expert!  It was quite easy.  There's not a single purl stitch in the whole pattern, and there is only a few inches of seaming.  

The only bits of advice I have when you start the pattern, is to have the reccommended yardage that the pattern calls for, I ran out of Disco about 2/3 down his back, so he has a plain chestnut colored bootie Sad  Also, there is counting involved (esp. with the back part) so it is very hard to do when someone is trying to talk to you...

I fulled him by hand, and I probably could have done it a bit more, but he holds his shape quite nicely so far.  I've already got the front done for another one, but I have to go out and buy me some novelty yarn before I can finish him up... I never thought I'd be saying that!

Has anyone else made this pattern?  I would love to see other hedgehogs!

Also, anyone have any suggestions for other animals I could adapt this guy into?  It's just so fun and cute I want to knit this over and over!

Oh, here's what he looked like right after fulling, he is being blocked by plastic bags:

Here's a link to the Fibertrends website: http://fibertrends.com/ and I bought my pattern at Webs www.yarn.com
« Last Edit: March 25, 2010 09:06:07 AM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed a coding issue » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Chimera
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2006 03:24:22 PM »

OMG that is the cutest thing EVER. He looks like a little person with an afro.

You could totally adapt that pattern to make a skunk or a squirrel.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rachelo
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2006 04:02:00 PM »

I love him!
He is the cutest animal ever!
I'd love to see his girlfriend in pink and hot pink.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dancingbarefoot
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2006 02:31:17 PM »

OMG, that's so friggin' adorable! I need to make one of those.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

1. All fungi are edible.
2. Some fungi are not edible more than once.
~~Terry Pratchett~~

my blog | index of free machine knitting patterns
MostlyHarmless
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2006 02:49:00 PM »

Ive wanted to make this since I saw somebody else with one a while ago. Grr...i hate buying patterns though. (Why purchase when there is a plethora of free online patterns and a bunch of knitting books at my library)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
aschnebly
I'm AliceKathryn on Ravelry :)

Yarnaholic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2006 05:27:41 PM »

Thanks for the compliments, I've started another one but he's on hold until I can buy fun fur Smiley  I love the idea of a Pink girlfriend hedgehog!

OMG that is the cutest thing EVER. He looks like a little person with an afro.

You could totally adapt that pattern to make a skunk or a squirrel.

Oh good ideas!  The Disco yarn definetly added to the afro like qualities.  Its got this funky sparkle to it, it's really out there.

Ive wanted to make this since I saw somebody else with one a while ago. Grr...i hate buying patterns though. (Why purchase when there is a plethora of free online patterns and a bunch of knitting books at my library)

I've purchased a couple of patterns online (they have come in PDF form, this one was mailed to me) and I do admit I've been disappointed with them because there were nice pictures and all, but once I got the patterns, I felt there wasn't much originality.  I've started them and not finished, with really no desire to do so.  This pattern though was just different, very interesting and unique (for me atleast, I have never seen anything quite like it before).  Plus it was just straight forward, all the directions are there, no mistakes AND not really any opportunity to make them since the pattern gives you stitch counts that you should have at the end of a row whenever you add or subtract any stitches, and also whether you should be on the RS or WS.  Lots of chances to check your work, which for me is important since I am still pretty new to this knitting thing.

So, for me, I think this pattern has already been worth the cost already!

I am in need of making a stuffed (slightly characteriezed) sheep, and this pattern might just be what I've been looking for!

That is sooo cute!

A sheep!  So cute! I love that idea Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Bigmouth

Lisa at heart

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2006 09:26:19 PM »

Yay for you, aschnebly!  That is great!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.etsy.com/NilaCeramics
Buttons, dishes, pretty things
Kazkitty
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2006 09:39:12 PM »

Wow! That is sooo adorable!

I think that there's a lot of animals you could adapt that pattern to.. I'm picturing a chubby lil piggy.. lol

And I can't believe it's the size of a soccer ball! What an size for a cuddle buddy!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Josette
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2006 05:54:46 AM »

I love that pattern.  I've made three already.  
« Last Edit: January 10, 2011 08:40:35 AM by jungrrl - Reason: edited to comply with Craftster guidelines » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Halidays
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2006 09:28:09 AM »

I bought this pattern a few weeks ago, but haven't started on it.....but I think I have to now:)

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Pull Off the Menswear Look
7 Most Unforgettable Gowns From the Oscars
Oscar Dresses That Made History
The Most Talked About Oscars Dresses Of All Time
3 Best Trends From London Fashion Week!
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Souvenir Tea Towel Pillow
Spotlight on: Making Toys
May 27, 2015 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...