A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 304,867
Currently Running With Scissors:
536 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: What does "fat quarter" mean?  (Read 9979 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sister-ilse
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2007 10:40:26 AM »

Thank you, Ladies!

Ill have to read that linked information more than just once, but I guess I can figure it out!!!!

Great help!!

Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Mikaiyawa

Some things must be believed to be seen. -Einstien

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: November 06, 2007 06:38:08 PM »

A fat quarter is a quarter yard of fabric in an 18 inch by 22 inch rectangle (approximately)  rather than a 9 inch by 44 inch strip.

Mieka
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Education is a progressive discovery of our own ignorance. - Will Durant
sewnutzz
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2007 05:07:26 PM »

A fat quarter is essentially 1/2 yard of 45" wide material cut in half down the length-wise grain....you get 4 of these blocks from a yard of fabric.  They are called fat quarters because they are "fatter" than a quarter-yard cut cross-grain (both contain the same square inches, just one is "fatter" than the other....Hope that makes sense!

Fat quarters are often sold already cut in quilting stores, you can also find them at most Joann's.  Most quilt shops who sell fat quarters are willing to cut a fat quarter for you if you cannot find what you want already cut.

If you need a fat quarter but cannot get it already cut, purchase a half yard of fabric so that you get the right length.  Put the left over into your fabric stash.

Anne
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Hellga
Shiny and Cool!

^ Dumbo Octopus ^

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2007 11:34:22 AM »

here's an image to make it make a bit more sense...

the first shows how it would normally be cut into quarters, if you asked for 1/4 yard of the fabric. they cut all the way from edge to edge, in a long narrow strip.

the second shows how fat quarters are cut, into "fat" rectangles that are generally more useful. however, alot of stores won't cut a fat quarter for you, unless they package and sell their own.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out the unofficial craftster chat! Click Here! Alternatively, using IRC, join server irc.aniverse.com and then join the #craftster channel!
Personal Swaps: I am looking for wool yarn for crocheting and felting. Want to swap?
sister-ilse
« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2007 09:39:32 AM »

Wink
Thank you very much Hellga,

the drawings make it a bit more easy for me. From the posts before I assumed as much. Well the fabric had to be cut in quarters, but in no way I had imagined that it would be be cut into quarters like a "cake".

In Germany its not very popular to cut fabric like this, at least not to my knowledge.

Thanks, Kirsten
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pollyputsthekettleon
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2009 04:51:01 AM »

Hi all,
I'm Polly and new to sewing.  I love looking at all the little parcels of fabric, but can you tell me, what is a fat quarter exactly?  And are they a standard mesurement?  Would I be right in assuming that you don't use these for clothing cause they're just little pieces?

Thanks for your help.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
soorawn
« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2009 05:23:18 AM »

A fat quarter is a quarter of a yard, but cut in a different way.  If you cut a piece of fabric one yard long into four pieces, you'll cut along as you unroll the piece, no?  But then it would be quite a narrow piece.  What you do to get four fat quarters is to get one yard piece, then cut it in four as you'd divide a square, that is, cutting once lengthwise and once widthwise.  That way each piece is wider and can be put to better use.

Fat quarters are popular with quilters because they don't usually need really big pieces of every cloth they use.  They are indeed too small for clothing usually, but apart from that there is nothing to deter you from using them in whatever way you want.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 projects for 2011:  15/50
MegRoseSews
« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2009 07:26:47 AM »

Other than quilting a nice use for fat quarters is a buttercup purse. It's a free pattern on the web, for personal (non-saleable) use only.  The pattern designers said that she had a bunch of them and designed the pattern to be used with them

Here it is
http://madebyrae.blogspot.com/2009/02/free-buttercup-bag-sewing-pattern.html

I learned about the buttercup purse because I love to read the purses and bags forums here at crafster. Several people make them there. I've made several and have 3 in progress because I like the shape so much. Here is one I posted in that forum (though I was using remnant pieces from another project not fat quarters)

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=308405.0

You might search on "buttercup" in the purses and bags forum to see a lot of really nice buttercups made by Crafsters.

Happy sewing!

MegRose
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cheyenneswthrt07
I cann't quiet the creative monkey in my head!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2009 08:21:03 AM »

I didn't know that Jo-Ann's would cut fat quarters off of bolts.  The evil twin in me see's potential for payback in this.........when I'm annoyed by them,   Cool
THIS ROCKS   Logged

elijor
« Reply #29 on: August 07, 2009 08:54:52 AM »

The JoAnn's around here (KS) don't "cut" fat quarters. They do sll some but they are precut and shipped to the store. I'd be really surprised if Walmart would cut them - but I've never asked.

Another thing to keep in mind is that fat quarters cost more then a regular "long & skinny" quarter yard. Quilt shops are where they originated and there is a bit of extra work in cutting them (2 cuts instead of 1). Also, you have to figure out how to fold them, display them, price them, etc. Even if you only cut them "on demand" you still have a leftover fat each time. Of course if you only need on piece of fabric and it needs to be more then 9" wide/tall - it might be worth it to pay the extra 25 cents but if you need two fats of the same fabric just save money and buy a half yard.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Sunday Dinner Part 3/3
How to Make Chorizo Burgers
How to Make an Italian Beef Sandwich
How to Make Sauteed Peppers and Onions
Cornbread and Pinto Beans Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Easy Tile Coasters
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...