A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 302,316
Currently Running With Scissors:
533 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Pick Your Block Blankie Swap (SIGNUPS CLOSED; MAIL BY JULY 21)  (Read 3679 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

redpopsicles
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: June 09, 2006 12:14:25 PM »

Swap name: Pick Your Block Blankie Swap
Craftster member who is organizing this swap: redpopsicles
Sign-up date range: 06/09/06 - 06/16/06
Date to send item by: 07/21/06

Limited to a certain number of people? (optional): 21 (7 Quilters/7 Knitters/7 Hookers)
Non-U.S. participants allowed? YES!
All ages allowed? Or 18+? All ages.
Organizer is aware of current list of "suspended traders" list and will not allow those members to participate: YES
Organizer meets the 4 conditions for swapping and will make sure that every participant meets these conditions: YES

Details of swap:
Lots of Craftsters have been wanting to make a "Craftster Blanket," so why not join a swap where you can get up to 6 blanket blocks in the media of your choice (Quilt, Knit, or Crochet)?  The idea started in this thread: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=92559.0

Each participant will sign up for a media group (Quilt, Knit, or Crochet).  There will be a maximum of 7 people in each group.  Each group member will craft a blanket block for every other group member based on each member's specifications.  Each will receive a different blanket block from each group member based on the specifications given in their questionnaire.  So, for each group, every crafter will make a MAXIMUM of 6 blanket blocks (if the group fills up).  You can see a visual example of how it works on the last post of page 4 of the link above.

If you would like to receive mixed media, say crochet and knit blocks, you may sign up for 2 groups.  Friends of Craftster may sign up for all 3 groups.  BUT!  Remember that if you sign up for 2 groups, you could be making up to 12 different blocks, and if you sign up for all 3 groups, you could be making up to 18 blocks. 

Also, keep your crafting time in mind when signing up.  If you don't think you can finish all the squares within the crafting time given, don't sign up for more groups.  Also, keep in mind that you will be shipping to as many people as you craft for, and you will be required to submit to me a Delivery Confirmation number (within the US) OR a photo/scan of a post office receipt (if overseas).  Also, all participants must be willing to ship overseas.

SO SIGN UP AND GET YOUR BLANKIE STARTED!!!

If you want to participate, information to send to organizer:
QUESTIONNAIRE TO ANSWER:
Name of swap: Pick Your Block Blankie Swap
Craftster username:
Email address:
Your real name:
Mailing address:
Would you be willing to ship overseas? All participants must be willing to ship overseas.
I would like to sign up for the following group(s) [quilt, knit, crochet]:
What dimensions do you need your blocks to be (no larger than 12" X 12")?
What colors do you want in your blocks?
Is there anything your partners should avoid when making your quilt blocks?
Do you have any allergies/aversions (remember these could limit the number of blocks you receive)?
Will you contact your partner(s) if there is an issue with their allergies/aversions?
Is there any other information your partners need to know about what kind of blocks you are looking for?
Is there anything else you would like to add?

IF YOU WANT TO PARTICIPATE, REMEMBER TO SEND YOUR INFO TO ORGANIZER VIA PRIVATE MESSAGE WITH BLANKIE SWAP AS THE SUBJECT AND NOT TO REPLY WITH IT HERE.

Also remember to read the Swap Info Guide to find out how to ship your item and other details about participating in a swap.

CHECK THE GALLERY FOR UPDATES ON SENDING/RECEIVING/ETC. AND THE STATUS OF YOUR FEEDBACK

APPROVED SWAPPERS (maximum of 7 per group):
Quilters
1. Kristen81
2. Charliebrown
3. pristinity
4. kirbay831
5. ctgirl

Knitters
1. redpopsicles
2. betzi
3. Whiskey
4. taloola

Hookers
1. Ezri_B
2. pristinity
« Last Edit: July 11, 2006 02:34:32 PM by redpopsicles » THIS ROCKS   Logged

betzi

A Really Useful Engine

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2006 12:25:02 PM »

oh i am so in! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Whiskey
Crafts fueled by Whiskey

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2006 12:56:35 PM »

Maybe I am being completely silly here, but I am having trouble understanding exactly what is required. 

I am a knitter and I would love to join this swap, but I want to make sure that I am up to the level that is required.  Could someone please post a few pictures or a detailed example of what would be required?

Thanks,
Whit
THIS ROCKS   Logged

redpopsicles

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2006 04:21:57 PM »

I don't have any pictures, but what would happen is if you are in the knitter group, you would make everyone else a block suited to the specifications you will receive in the questionnaires.

Example:
I'm in the knit group, and I need 8" X 8" squares that are "manly" looking for a Craftster blanket for my boyfriend.  I am requesting any combination of navy blues, maroon/rusts, forest-y greens, mustard yellows, or charcoal grays (or colors like those).  So, you could choose any pattern/combo/knitting style you want and knit away, as long as the block ends up 8" X 8" with colors close to those I listed.

So, you will receive a questionnaire for each person you will knit a block for, and these questionnaires will give all the info you need for the blocks you are to make.  You can make them as simple or as intricate as you want.  It's all up to you.  I think we all want a lot of variety, so go wild with whatever you want to do.  Just stick to the person's block size and color (and anything else specific they have listed).  If you have any questions about someone's block, PM them. 

All levels of knitters, quilters, and hookers are welcome!

I am a knitter and I would love to join this swap, but I want to make sure that I am up to the level that is required.  Could someone please post a few pictures or a detailed example of what would be required?
Thanks,
Whit
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ctgirl
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2006 07:52:18 PM »

I think this is a great idea for a swap, but is there anyway that the send out date could be extended.  I just don't think I would have time to knit 6 blocks in 3 weeks if they have to be to someone's specifications.  I missed out on the last few quilt square swaps and was sad about it....
THIS ROCKS   Logged
redpopsicles

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2006 10:13:36 PM »

I am very open to extending the mailout date.  I just need everyone to let me know what will work best for them.  How many weeks do we need?  Or, what mailout date would work best for you?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

redpopsicles

« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2006 01:11:24 AM »

Here are some questions that came up in the New Swap Themes thread:
It says on the swap page that we are to make the squares to the other people's specifications. So is there a limit.... I mean what if someone asks for squares that are 3feet by 3feet. (Ok, I really hope no one would do that, but....) and then someone else wants 3 inches by 3 inches. Now, quilting is a bit different in the fact that you could use bigger squares with less detailed work, but crocheting and knitting, you have to make that fabric. It would be really hard if you have to try to finish that many squares knitting in 3 weeks. It could take quite awhile. Are we limiting it to the maximum size?

I am setting a limit of 12" X 12" for the blocks.  I would hope no one would want anything larger than that for a swap like this.  There won't be a limit on how small your square can be.

What about materials? Say one person wants blue in wools, while another wants pinks in acrylic, another wants oranges in cottons, etc... that could really add up fast. Or aren't we giving the partners a choice about that. This also is an issue with wash-ability. You want all of your fabrics/yarns to wash the same or at least similar.

I am hoping everyone will give a wide variety of color choices and materials.  If you have specific materials that you need your blocks made out of, put that on your questionnaire, but remember that you have to be flexible based on what your partners can do.  If there are any problems that arise regarding materials (colors or anything else) please communicate with that partner to try to resolve it and keep me in the loop, too.  I am hoping that everyone who signs up for this swap will be pretty open to a variety of blocks, since that is what the swap is all about, and not get stuck on something too specific.  So, really, what I'm asking is that everyone give a lot of choices for your partners on your questionnaires.  This is a rather vague answer, but I think we will have to deal with issues like these as they arise. Smiley

And lastly. I won't be able to get delivery confirmation unless it is a large enough package, and I doubt any of the squares would be. Do I have to make the packages bigger just to get Delivery confirmation? That could really add a lot to the price of shipping.

sewknitter gave a really good answer to this:
I send packages everyday in my "real life" <grin> My post persons say add styrofoam pieces.  I can use an envelope 4" x 5" or #10 envelope or bigger, but it has to be 3/4" or greater THICKNESS. So I put styrofoam peanuts into the envelope. or a piece of styrofoam from a package, that makes part of the package over 3/4" thick to get it big enough for delivery confirmation.  the styrofoam peanuts/pieces don't add much weight.

Also, you can take a picture or scan a copy of the receipt for confirmation IF NECESSARY, as long as it is a very clear photo/scan that I can easily read.

I'm not trying to be a pain really. I REALLY like the idea of this swap, but I don't want to sign up for something thinking I can afford it, then to find out it's going to cost me a ton. Or end up missing the send by date because I couldn't get my stuff done on time. I would absolutely LOVE a craftster blanket! I just don't want to sign up unless I know I can do it you know! Thanks

I am also asking everyone what kind of sendout extension they would like.  I am very open to extending the deadline, but everyone needs to give me input as to how long you will need. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kristen81
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2006 02:24:29 PM »

Another question that may have come up in the oroginal discussion of this idea..

What is someone can only make quilt block but they want granny squares.

I am thinking this is what kind of got people interested in this swap in the first place.

Someone may really want to make an aphgan (sp?) but can't crochet but they can offer qulit squares in exchange.
Another person may know how to crochet but can't sew so they want quilt squares done for them to make a quilt.

See what I mean...this swap doesn't offer that.

(I'm ok,  I can make (and I want) quilt squares   but other may not be interested in receiving the type of squares they can already make)

whew...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

WISTS!!!!      http://wists.com/KraftyKris

CHECK OUT MY SWAP BLOG:  http://kristen81.blog.ca/

WHAT'S FOR DINNER? - Recipe Blog!!!  http://kristenskitchen.blog.ca
redpopsicles

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2006 10:50:09 PM »

That hasn't appeared to come up yet.  I guess that will just have to be addressed as things progress.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mata
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2006 02:33:14 PM »

Another question that may have come up in the oroginal discussion of this idea..

What is someone can only make quilt block but they want granny squares.

I am thinking this is what kind of got people interested in this swap in the first place.

This sounds like me! I can sew but I'd love to eventually assemble a granny square afghan.. as a beginner knitter, I wouldn't really feel confident in knitting blocks for other people, since I've never done it before. Anyway, I don't really have much time these days so I will probably have to wait for the next round :-)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Muse of Barry Ptolemy
The Morality of Filming South African Vineyards
Photoshop CS5 Beta Review
Censorship and Slashers
Interview with Roger Nygard
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: A Pod of Narwhals
Hey, it's summer. Go outside!
Meatless Monday: Chia Pudding

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...