A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 298,721
Currently Running With Scissors:
540 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Wiltons w/out rules  (Read 1523 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

lutheranchick
« on: July 26, 2004 09:29:09 AM »

I'm always finding really cool Wilton cake pans on ebay (Darth Vader, Holly Hobbie, etc.).  But lots of them no longer have their instructions or picture, and are too old to have their instructions on Wilton's website.  Not all of them are in the Wilton's "yearbooks" either.  Anyway, I am wondering if any of you have experimented with decorating with Wilton cake pans w/out instructions before. Was it too hard?  Did people think your Darth Vader was Jabba the Hutt? Did you like it that way?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

When in doubt, sauerkraut.
freisss
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2004 11:19:51 AM »

I put myself through college decorating cakes, and I've used lots and lots of these pans.  Don't sweat it....once you have the cake baked, the markings will be right there.  You can either look in an old Wilton catalog to see what the cake "should" look like (usually you can find these on ebay), or work from a photo of the subject.  I always kind of liked working on my own on those anyway...I thought doing the design all in stars ended up kinda cheezy. Smiley

Also, realize that in the Wilton catalogs, they often have alternate ways of decorating cakes baked in a certain pan.  For instance, a Garfield pan could be used to make Sylvester, etc.  Experiment and have a blast with it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hillarybillary
your a pansy I'm a cowboy....

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2004 04:43:28 PM »

I recenlty tried decorating my first cake..... I bought the book mold from wilton and made my husband a ginger fluff cake and it was well ummm not so talll it was not even an inch tall when was all said and done but i went ahead and tried to do what I was I set out to do which was decorated a cake in refrence to "book of love" originally written by the Magnetic Fields by re done my Mike Doughty my husbands favorite singer.
Will post pic tonight.
*h
in the mean time I made the topper for my wedding cake.....its marzipan I didnt make the cake though I had it made

THIS ROCKS   Logged
lutheranchick
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2004 07:32:07 AM »

Thanks, freiss! I now feel empowered to buy that Darth Vader pan.
hillarybillary, those cake toppers are awesome. I love the lady's hat!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MtyAphrdti
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2004 08:30:32 PM »

haha!  i just did this for my new husband for his birthday last month...I made him the GI Joe cake ....I had the directions, but they don't even make the colors that were needed so I just winged it...the only part you really need is the icing mix directions  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lutheranchick
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2004 06:49:01 AM »

What? They don't make icing in GI Joe Army Fatigue Green?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MtyAphrdti
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2004 11:21:15 PM »

nope...at least not around here....i mixed kelly green and brown and it came out alright
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Canon G10: Set for Portrait Scene
Canon G10: Set for People-in-Landscape Scene
Canon G10: Set for Panoramic Scene
Canon G10: Set for Night Portrait Scene
Canon G10: Set for Night Landscape Scene
Latest Blog Articles
Challenge #104 Halloween Costume Winner
@Home This Weekend: Painted Countertops
Tute Tuesday: Paper Lantern/Ball Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...