A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 297,540
Currently Running With Scissors:
670 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: wedding dress ideas  (Read 1151 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

re
« on: June 09, 2006 10:42:55 AM »

so I have two questions.

- It turns out I will not be wearing my mothers wedding dress (not a surprize, because its made for a pregnancy). BUT. My mom always thought I would reconstruct a dress out of it. But the thing is, I found the perfect dress on ebay for only $80. (and bought it of course). so I need ideas of what I can do with it to incorporate it into my wedding somehow. my parents have a wonderful marriage and I think it will be good luck.
the top is some itchy polyester stuff, but tacked onto it is a pretty lacy ornamentation - which I am thinking of adding into a veil/hairpiece somehow. or, as a garter.
(is that tacky? my moms dress as a garter?)
but there is so much fabric from the skirt - any ideas?
(other than bows, I hate bows).

- I want to use the remainder to make something for my mom - a keepsake, since  I have permission to cut up her dress, I think she should keep some of it. all I can come up with is xmas ornaments - she is not a big scrapbooky person or I would have done something like that.

any ideas are appreciated.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rjalmom
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2006 02:34:49 PM »

so I have two questions.

- It turns out I will not be wearing my mothers wedding dress (not a surprize, because its made for a pregnancy). BUT. My mom always thought I would reconstruct a dress out of it. But the thing is, I found the perfect dress on ebay for only $80. (and bought it of course). so I need ideas of what I can do with it to incorporate it into my wedding somehow. my parents have a wonderful marriage and I think it will be good luck.
the top is some itchy polyester stuff, but tacked onto it is a pretty lacy ornamentation - which I am thinking of adding into a veil/hairpiece somehow. or, as a garter.
(is that tacky? my moms dress as a garter?)
but there is so much fabric from the skirt - any ideas?
(other than bows, I hate bows).

- I want to use the remainder to make something for my mom - a keepsake, since  I have permission to cut up her dress, I think she should keep some of it. all I can come up with is xmas ornaments - she is not a big scrapbooky person or I would have done something like that.

any ideas are appreciated.

My sister and I had lace from my mother's wedding gown in our bouquets. A garter would be nice. You could also make hankies for you and your mother out of the fabric from the skirt of the dress and trim it in some of the lace.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
crazy_bc_jen
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2006 12:36:03 AM »

If you've got a bunch of time and access to other materials, why not use the leftover dress as the base for a small, very basic lap quilt?  If you have old clothes from growing up, you can incorporate those too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mirandalea

Be gentle, I'm new.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2006 04:57:35 PM »

You could always use it to make a ring pillow and/or flowergirl basket. And a pretty hanky always comes in handy at a wedding. I had one that belonged to my great grandmother tucked into my garter as my "something old" and "something blue" and once we did the garter thing at the reception I carried it all night.

I just had a great idea! You could use it to make the lacy hanky, and embroider your name and your mom's name on it. Then you could save it and give it to your (future) daughter and add her name. It could become a family heirloom! And if you embroider in blue, it covers most of the old adage: old (hanky), new (embroidery), and blue!! I wish I'd thought of that for my wedding! You could even add something from each dress, like a piece of lace or a ribbon.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I do not think that word means what you think it means."

"I saw a wino siting on the corner eating grapes. I was like, 'Dude... You have to wait!'"
StarFire
Maker of Things.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2006 12:10:27 AM »

Even if your mother isnt into doing scrapbooking in and of itself, you can always use a bit of the dress and make a scrapbooked-like page and insert it into a 12X12" shadow box frame.   I did this for my best friend as a belated wedding gift (had to get pics from her photographer).   

I also like the ideas of ring pillow and lap quilt for mom.   Maybe even use some of skirt material for a drawstring bag for yourself and embellish it in someway?   You know you'll need one to carry little "essentials" in for the big day! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I can do personal swaps!  ^_^

Pinterest!  http://pinterest.com/dmlinc2179/
tiedinbundles
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2006 06:46:27 PM »

I just got Fun-to-Wear Fabric Flowers by Elizabeth Searle off amazon to make fabric flowers in lew of traditional buttoniers for my wedding. I don't know what your dress looks like or if you intend to put anything on your head, but Vogue has some nice retro hats/veils with fabric flowers too that could be a nice touch.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Fox Mask
How to Make a Witch Mask
How to Make a Paper Plate Mask
How to Make a Plague Doctor Mask
How to Make Paper Masks
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...