A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 302,723
Currently Running With Scissors:
518 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: BOWLS of polymer clay  (Read 7052 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Polybeadry
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2006 12:36:47 PM »

Wow, did the kids make those canes and the designs in the clay too, or did they just shape them? Those are awesome for an adult, much less a sixth grader! I'm impressed! Wow!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Crafty.Old.Hipster?
Diane B.

GlassAttic --polymer clay "encyclopedia"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2006 03:10:02 PM »

did the kids make those canes and the designs in the clay too, or did they just shape them? Those are awesome. . .

Thanks, I think so too!  The kids were Very Proud  Grin
As for whether they made the canes, I answered that in my last reply so just check down a few responses.

I hope some of you guys will try a bowl or two... they're so-o-o fun. 

If you start out by making a really short-walled bowl** over a glass custard bowl, e.g., and just use a simple cane like maybe a spiral-jellyroll, it should be a breeze.

**I made a bunch of little short ones for holding my earrings at night.

To apply cane slices directly on the bowl, the jellyroll cane could be left round and the slices from it applied overlapping each other (then flattened before baking with a hand roller, or by rubbing over a thin sheet of paper placed over them)... or the jellyroll cane could be reshaped into a squared cane, and the slices applied butting each other (then smooth same as above).

If you want to try a draped bowl, lay all the slices on a sheet of waxed paper in a rough disk shape (overlapping or not)... then later flatten all the slices into a smooth sheet by putting another sheet of waxed paper over the slice sheet and rolling over it with a roller of some kind (even a straight-sided drinking glass will work)... lay a tissue over an upturned glass bowl and drape the flattened disk over it, arranging the excess as a fluted edge
(... or leave the tissue off and snug the whole disk around the glass bowl slowly and gently so that it touches the glass all over, like the cane slice bowls)

... bake 265-275 15-20 minutes...let cool just a bit, then remove (pop off the cane slice or snugged clay ones as suggested below... the loosely-draped ones should lift off easily)

You can even give the bowl more "importance" Cheesy by giving it feet too.  Just press 3-4 clay balls onto the bottom of the bowl, or press on a ring-rope of clay, but most any thick shape should work. 
(One of the polymer clay pioneers, Tory Huhges, gave one of her bowls actual feet Grin ... all kinds of animal or people feet have been used on occasion since then.)

Diane B.

GlassAttic....polymer clay "encyclopedia"
http://glassattic.com/polymer/contents.htm
« Last Edit: June 15, 2006 10:05:23 AM by Diane B. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

POLYMER CLAY "ENCYCLOPEDIA" 
few of my photos
http://s96.photobucket.com/albums/l163/DianeBB
(had to move them from YahooPhotos, so many now without captions)
Polybeadry
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2006 03:27:08 PM »

Oh sorry, I should have read further, I was just bowled over by the bowls. ha.

I also just realized that you are THE Diane of glassattic. I just wanted to say, I love your site, its awesome, inspirational, incredible, wonderful, fantastic. I have learned SO much from it and I give it out to people who want to know more about pc all the time! Gald to "meet" you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Crafty.Old.Hipster?
HappyMadison87
« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2006 11:25:41 PM »

Wow! Those bowls are super-neato! I love the look of the draped bowls. Me likey. :-)

I have a question, though...I've heard that polymer clay should never be used for anything that will come in direct contact with food, because even after baked, some of the oil (is it called plasticine?) may still leak out and get into food. Are these bowls just for decoration and not for eating?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Subversive

Living in hope

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2006 04:49:25 AM »

It's not that the plasticizers get into the food, it's that the PC is porous and the food can get into the clay, and then it would get nasty 'cause it would be virtually impossible to get out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Capultum habeo.  Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis ad caput tuum saxem mittam.  (Translation:  I have a catapult.  Give me all your money or Ill fling enormous rocks at your head.)
Diane B.

GlassAttic --polymer clay "encyclopedia"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2006 09:39:27 AM »

It's not that the plasticizers get into the food, it's that the PC is porous and the food can get into the clay, and then it would get nasty 'cause it would be virtually impossible to get out.

Actually, it is true though!  Grin 

In fact, there are several different but related concerns re using food and clay:

The first is baked clay in direct contact with food.
I should have mentioned before that these polymer bowls should not be used for morning cereal or any other foods.  Again, we're erring way on the side of extreme caution for properly-baked clay (it is just a plastic bowl after all), but it's one place where we do that since it is theoretically possible that the plastiizer may not have been totally and completely baked out (especially by those who don't know the fine points of proper baking), and could leach into food, or liquids especially, a little bit... and also hot foods could make the clay soften a bit.

If you do want to use your bowls for food though, leave the baked clay on the outside of a (glass) bowl (don't pop it off)... then you'll be using the glass, not the clay, in direct contact with the food (but you can still see the decorative clay through the glass)... metal or other opaque forms don't work as well for this obviously.  Glass plates are a great thing to use this way too.
Some bowl shapes and sizes will allow you to see the decorative clay better than others... for example, a bowl with tall sides or almost straight tallish sides will kind of block the view of the interior of the bowl.
Or you could simply sit a smaller regular bowl or container inside your clay bowl, then put the food/dip/whatever in that.

These bowls (or "trays" if they're short-walled) can be used for all kinds of things besides food though too.

As for porosity, actually properly-baked polymer clay is almost not porous at all (plain original white Sculpey has a little more "tooth" to its baked surface, but not sure even it is porous).  Remember, baked polymer clay is just plastic.  In fact, properly-baked clay can be submerged in water for 6 months or more before showing any signs that the water is beginning to be absorbed... even then it's just on the surface. 
There were even experiments at one point with baked clay vases, showing that they held water without leaking for quite a while (a layer of liquid clay inside was even better), although there the water pressure should have forced the water into the clay sooner.

The last concern is not using porous items, or items that have crevices with raw polymer clay. It may be impossible to thoroughly remove all the plasticizer from these, so those types of items or tools (pasta machines, for example) are definitely not recommended for use with food after use with clay.  Personally I have no problem thoroughly washing a metal spoon or something like that after using it for raw clay, then using it for food later.

Diane B.

GlassAttic....polymer clay "encyclopedia"
« Last Edit: June 15, 2006 10:18:05 AM by Diane B. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

POLYMER CLAY "ENCYCLOPEDIA" 
few of my photos
http://s96.photobucket.com/albums/l163/DianeBB
(had to move them from YahooPhotos, so many now without captions)
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Cover a Blemish
How to Use Scotch Tape to Perfect Liquid Eyeliner
Laura Mercier: How to Flawlessly Apply Your Foundation
Best Dressed at the Hollywood Film Awards
Full Face Flawless Foundation in 5 Steps
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Rustic Fabric Pumpkins
I See London; I See France!
Meatless Monday: Zucchini Pineapple Loaf

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...