A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 299,122
Currently Running With Scissors:
657 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: resources for home and garden?  (Read 1525 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

bookgirl
« on: July 26, 2004 08:44:37 AM »

My husband and I are in the middle of buying our first home (wahoo!), and while I'm thrilled about having the chance to do whatever I want to our house, I also don't really know the first place to start when it comes to finding resources for dealing with our new home.  Fer instance, gardening tools.  I've been restricted to container gardening for all these years and I haven't got anything bigger than a trowel or hand cultivator to work with.  Clearly I need to get some new tools.  So what tools have you found to be indispensable?  What stores or brands do you trust?  What books/websites/etc have been full of the best advice?  Similarly, when it comes to fixing (as opposed to decorating) the house: Who do you go to for help with maintenance questions?  What have you learned about home ownership that you wish you'd known from the start?

Any advice/pointers/reminiscences/words of wisdom greatly appreciated!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Diana
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2004 08:51:27 AM »

Congratulations on buying your first home! How exciting! Since I am still an apartment dweller, I don't have any wisdom to impart regarding the house itself, but I wanted to tell you about: www.yougrowgirl.com - a fantastic gardening site that will have many answers to your many garden questions!
Good luck!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MtyAphrdti
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2004 09:27:49 PM »

Some things that I learned are to make sure to have the house inspected by CERTIFIED inspectors!  also make sure that you like every little thing with the exceptions of paint colors...carpet, cabinetry, fixtures, etc are more expensive than i ever dreamed  some things inspectors do not mention to you...for instance...our wood privacy fence fell down within 2 years and he gave it a clean bill of health  Roll Eyes 

#2  make friends with the nosey neighbor...you'll be able to spot them pretty easy...they will be indipensible as far as knowing someone to help in any kind of crisis that lives just down the street lol  Our local nosey one knew just who to call to have our lawn mower fixed for the best price and he lived down the street so it was fast to boot

and as far as actually buying equipment and supplies, I ALWAYS check at www.eopinions.com  it is very helpful in most cases  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bookgirl
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2004 07:28:28 AM »

Thanks for the two great websites -- yougrowgirl is making me even more impatient to get to work on our land (we don't close for several weeks, argh!).  And I can't believe how comprehensive eopinion is.  It's going to be really helpful when start buying appliances.

We don't have any nosy neighbors (we're in the sticks), but we are buying from the people who would have been the nosy neighbors!  Already we've found out about a good fuel co-op from them.  I'm going to try to get more info from them before we close. 

Thanks, and keep the ideas coming!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Poprocksandcoke
child of the spookie

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2004 12:32:37 PM »

My grandmother, has the most beuatiful garden. It takes an hour to water. She's turns the soil by hand.  And the plants love it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Your mouth is likean open sore, where kisses rot and die
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Use 4 Point Tracking - Motion 3
How to Create Basic Replicators - Motion 3
How to Understand Text Behavior - Motion 3
How to Create a Sin City Effect - Apple Color
How to Use the Warper - Shake 4
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry
Handmade Gift Ideas: Bunny Travel Pillow
Tute Tuesday: Cross Stitched Sewing Box

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...