A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 300,872
Currently Running With Scissors:
654 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Possibly Moving to Minneapolis  (Read 1333 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

cawfeehowse
« on: June 18, 2004 01:31:05 PM »

My boyfriend and I are looking at Minneapolis as a possible place to find a job and move to (we're finishing up our last year at college).  I've never been there and I don't know much about it or it's job market.  So those of you who live there/have lived there:

Huh What do you love?  Hate?
 Huh Is there lots of crafty things? 
 Huh What's the weather like?

Please share your experiences with me.  Thanks Smiley

Erin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

shinyandbrandnew
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2004 05:49:51 AM »

Whatever you do do not move to 'north minneapolis' tons of violence, lack of crafty resources, and there is no decent shopping (as in a  decent grocery store or a gas station,.... oh the irony) I would suggest moving to uptown...thats the area where all the hipsters live.  I cant say that there are tons of crafty places in minneapolis but if you have a car you can find really quaint craft shops and thrift stores. I have to say that You might want to look into moving to St. Paul as opposed to Minneapolis because St. Paul has Wayyyyy better crafting resources (ie: thrift stores, yarn shops, craft stores etc.).

And at last i get to the weather.... If you can tolerate tons of snow and cold from the months of late october/early november until march then you are cool.  We have rather bizzare weather in the summer, hot and humid some days, cold the next And about a zillion mosqutoes. If you can tolerate filghty weather then you can totally live here in minnesota. I do not reccomend that you move here if you come from a warm climate... the adjustment will be tough.

I've lived in both minneapolis and St.Paul so im somewhat familiar with the areas...St.Paul more so than minneapolis. If you have anymore questions message me and i'll tell you whatever you want to know.

Donna
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Valoir

I knew I could make it myself!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2004 09:45:53 AM »

Minneapolis has one of the most vibrant arts scenes in the country.  I think this crosses over to the crafts scene as well. 

We have so many places you can take classes, from pottery to bookbinding, kiln-worked glass to bronze casting, knitting to jewelry making, the options are amazing.  Hey, you could even take a class or two with me!

We have great independent stores (tons of yarn stores, fabric stores, paper and art supplies) and most of the national chains (Michaels, Jo-Anns, Paper Source, Archivers, Dick Bick).  The chains are mostly in the suburban areas, so you need wheels to get around.  I have primarily lived in the neighborhoods called Seward and the West Bank.  I found these really convenient for getting around, on bike or car and there are things to walk to.  Uptown is very popular especially with the young and hip.  The Northeast neighborhood has really become known for artist's studios.  Loring park area is between downtown and uptown and quite a few hipsters live in that area too. 

What can I say, Minneapolis is a big city (and then there is this other city, St. Paul, only 10 miles away), so you can find a little bit of everything here.  I've lived here 9 years and have been crafting the entire time! There are so many fun things to try. . .

The winters are cold and snowy, but shouldn't be all that foreign to you if you are from the northeast.  You get used to it.

Good luck with the job search.
Valerie/Valoir
THIS ROCKS   Logged

it's all jewelry all the time!
http://www.valoirdesigns.com
beccajo

I Lurve to Craft

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2004 02:00:33 PM »

I live in Uptown and work in Nordeast (north east minneapolis) but seriously, if you have a choice, go for st. paul. Wink

It does roll up its sidewalks at 5 but it's much quieter, and like Valoir says is more centralized as to crafty things and fun stuff.  You could also try one of the suburbs on either side of the cities, with cheaper rent and less traffic than living downtown you may find that makes up for the distance you'll drive.

I've lived in many different cities and MN has a really amazing, up and coming art scene. And the music?  Fantastic. Home to Prince, what more needs to be said?

Unfortunately yes you will need a car to live here, the public transportation is not so great.  Not the worst I've ever seen, but outside of short trips it's really bad. My roommate has only his bike and the bus, but if you want to get to work on time and you don't live within walking distance, don't count on the bus to get you there.  Some people I know love it, but I've only had bad experiences with public transport here.

Winters-sucky but they are anywhere right?  There's only 4-5 days where it's so bad you can't go out, so watch out for the snow emergencies or that car will get towed and that SUCKS.

Go take a look at our craigslist if you want some more opinions-there was a HEATED discussion on it last month Wink

Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

won't you brighten a wee cat's day?

www.eoinadesigns.com/shop.html
rainonlens
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2004 01:44:22 PM »

i've lived in the twin cities and neighboring suburbs my entire life. i may be the best person to ask because i know it inside and out, or the worst because i don't know anything different.
things i love...
there are a lot of nice art museums; walker art center, mpls institute for the arts. tons of bars/venues with great live music. as others have mentioned a plethora of independently owned craft stores and thrift stores. i suggest thrifting in the surburbs because they aren't nearly as picked over. antique stores are everywhere (stillwater and hastings, are good places to start). lots of liberal people and ideas. beautiful landscape (10,000 lakes), and lots of fun small towns near duluth great for weekend getaways; to canoe, fish, hike, camp, etc. there are tons of magical secret places to explore (great for photography) such as train yards, caves, underground factories, abandoned bridges and buildings, etc.
things i dislike...
it can be hard to meet people. with such long winters it becomes more difficult to run into neighbors. uptown is full of hipsters that have a tendency to be very seclusive and pretentious. i suggest west bank, although there is more crime, it's exploding with life. st. paul is more quaint and slow, with beautiful neighborhoods, and down-home folk. transportation can be difficult. the twin cities leave things more spread out than your average metropolis. i suggest biking when possible, but having a beater winter car as well. the job market can be rough but there are plenty of temp agencies to tide you over.
the weather...
gorgeous summers and falls. frigid winters and slushy springs. the winters can cause extreme cabin fever. with all the time indoors, when better to get started on elaborate craft projects? with plenty of warm clothes you can find adventure outdoors as well; sledding, snowshoeing, ice skating, skiing/snowboarding, making snowpeople, ice fishing, etc.
i could go on and on. if you'd like to talk to me directly for more insight, my aim name is macramegunplay. i hope i've helped!
sarah

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Blow Out Last Three Days
Wig Makeover With Sherri Shepherd
Hair Stylist for a Day Backstage at Thakoon Fall 2013 Runway Show
"Hair With Hollie": How to Create Big Cheryl Cole-Inspired Hair
How to Get a Straight-Off-the-Runway Hairstyle in 30 Seconds
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Grey & Plum Button Wreath
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hippogriff
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...