A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 298,054
Currently Running With Scissors:
733 Guests and 40 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: ...what if I glaze it?  (Read 906 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

pinup_dream
« on: June 08, 2006 09:04:58 PM »

I have an idea for a present for a friend.  I can't elaborate just in case she sees this post, but basically I need something that's waterproof.  Smiley  It's not going to be submerged all hours of the day or anything, it just needs to be "wipe-offable" if it gets dirty.

Anyway, I think glazing it would fine, right?  I don't know what type of glaze works best with polymer clay, and which brands will be better at accepting it...I hope somebody who's had more experience can help me.  Huh
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"To the world you are one, but to one you are the world..."
penguintrax
Polyclay Freek

Perpetually Organizing my Bead Room

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2006 08:17:59 AM »

Well, most glazes are water-based, so I don't know how it would hold up, long term. Secondly, if the item in question may be used in an, um, very personal manner, I don't know how safe the glaze would be from a health and safety standpoint.

You would probably be better off sanding thoroughly, starting with about 320 and ending up with 2000 grit, then buffing the piece to a shine.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Diane B.

GlassAttic --polymer clay "encyclopedia"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2006 05:03:12 PM »

Well, I have to go with penguintrax on the ,um, personal use cause I really don't know about the safety of that, but any acrylic sealer** you use will be water-resistant (and acrylics would be best).  Unless the baked polymer item is soaked continuously for months, it should also be water-proof for all practical purposes. 
Polymer clay is very water-resistant on its own though (it's plastic, remember), so unless you want to give the baked clay a glossy finish, or you're going to put something on the clay which might be affected by water or air (like metallic leaf, or maybe watercolor pencils, etc.), you won't need a sealer to make it wipe-offable.

**Acrylic sprays can be a different thing though because some have petroleum-based solvents in their propellants, and those are what we try to avoid with polymer clay.

If you want to give your item a slight sheen or all the way up to a high gloss without using a liquid finish, you can use Kato Polyclay brand of polymer clay (= sheen), or sand and buff (a little = sheen, or a lot with an electric buffer = high gloss).

I don't know what type of glaze works best with polymer clay, and which brands will be better at accepting it

Some finishes go on thinner or thicker, and some who buy Fimo glazes prefer the mineral-based one, but otherwise the type doesn't matter too mucy if it's an acrylic.  All brands of polymer clay will accept most acrylic sealers well, with the exception of Kato Polyclay accepting Varathane (since Kato has a very smooth finish, it tends to resist that particular type of liquid, so it would be best to go with Future if you use Kato and want to use a finish too).

For lots of info on types and brands of polymer-friendly finishes, check out this page ... and also look under the Sprays subcategory if you really want to use a spray:
http://www.glassattic.com/polymer/finishes.htm

(And here's a page that discusses the use of polymer clay in water and sun conditions, if you want to check that out too:
http://www.glassattic.com/polymer/outdoor_snowglobes_fountains.htm )

HTH,

Diane B.
--- polymer clay "encyclopedia"
http://www.glassattic.com/polymer/contents.htm

« Last Edit: June 09, 2006 05:14:00 PM by Diane B. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

POLYMER CLAY "ENCYCLOPEDIA" 
http://glassattic.com/polymer/contents.htm
few of my photos
http://s96.photobucket.com/albums/l163/DianeBB
(had to move them from YahooPhotos, so many now without captions)
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Add an Inner Glow Blending Option to Text in Photoshop CS3
How to Add an Inner Shadow Blending Option to Text in Photoshop CS3
How to Add an Outer Glow Blending Option to Text in Photoshop CS3
How to Add Footage to a Composition in After Effects CS3
How to Add Text in Photoshop CS3
Latest Blog Articles
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup
@Home This Weekend: Create a Spooky Yard

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...