A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 296,405
Currently Running With Scissors:
729 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Weird things happen when I bake Fimo! - Help!  (Read 1406 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Ralph
no... gone completely

The fat man walks alone.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: June 07, 2006 09:47:52 PM »

Hey everyone!

I've just gotten back into ploymer clay after some disasterous attempts but I'm still having problems.

I have a couple of bars of Fimo and Sculpey and they boith have the same baking instructions on them but when I bake the Fimo the colours go really dark and kindof "scaly" (thats the best description I can come up with), it sort of has little white circle-y shapes through it.

It doesn't happen with the Sculpey but am I doing something wrong. It doesn't really burn, and I've tried putting it in for different lengths of time but the same thing always happens. I've had it for a couple of years, could it have gone off?

Thanks in advance. I feel excited to be asking this on our new board!

-Ralph
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have decided that the hokey pokey is what it's all about.

Post a project on every completed project board on craftster: 30/39
Al-most-there.
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=329582.msg3997110#msg3997110
something_wierd
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

I like pointy things.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2006 08:12:28 AM »

It might have gotten old.  I have some hella old fimo and it just acts weird.  Try mixing it with some of your Sculpey or adding some softener.

Good Luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Polymer Clay Challenge #2 has a winner, RobbinZombie!  her entry was The Kraken  She will receive a prize from Persephone Rose!
Diane B.

GlassAttic --polymer clay "encyclopedia"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2006 04:06:36 PM »

I've just gotten back into ploymer clay after some disasterous attempts but I'm still having problems.

Welcome BACK!  Grin

There are, I think, probably two answers to your question.

I've had it for a couple of years, could it have gone off?

First, polymer clay doesn't ever really go bad just from age, and it's not a water-based clay so it never "dries" out. 
It can, however, cure or partly cure from too much heat or ultraviolet light.  With enough work, almost any polymer clay can be reconsituted though... just depends on how much trouble it's worth to you (...btw, there are even clayers who claim to have reconstituted completely cured clay!).   
All brands of polymer clay will "advance" a bit with sitting time though, in that they will firm up compared to when they were new, or to the last time they were made pliable ("conditioned"). 

Now you didn't say that your clay was too "hard," so if you ever want to get it pliable again if that happens (or just soften any clay), check out this page for various ways:
http://www.glassattic.com/polymer/Conditioning.htm

when I bake the Fimo the colours go really dark and kindof "scaly" (thats the best description I can come up with), it sort of has little white circle-y shapes through it.

I'll take a few guesses re this one.

First, the "little white circle-y shapes" in the baked clay are most likely what we call "plaques." 
Those are actually little tiny bits of moisture that got trapped in the clay from the air, your hands, or even manufacturing conditions.  When that clay is baked, little half-moons of opaqueness show up in the clay, but it's mostly noticeable only in clays which have a lot of translucent clay in them (this is not necessarily light-colored clays only; some dark colors may also have more translucent in them than others. . .  in general though this has been more true for Sculpey III colors than Fimo**... btw, the only way to tell how much translucent most colors have in them is to bake them and look) 

(**you don't say if you have FimoClassic or FimoSoft colors, but not sure it makes a difference with older bars of those clays)

It doesn't happen with the Sculpey but am I doing something wrong. It doesn't really burn, and I've tried putting it in for different lengths of time but the same thing always happens.

The only reason I can think of that it might happen more to the Fimo is that you happen to have a Fimo color with a lot of translucent in it, and a Sculpey color without much.  Tell us which colors of which brands you have, if that's not true.

You can read more about plaquing if you're interested on this page, which also gives some tips on avoiding or hiding the plaquing if you want that ...for simulating many natural materials with clay, like wood, jade, ivory, etc., plaquing is actually desirable though!:
http://www.glassattic.com/polymer/translucents-glow.htm
 (...look under "Plaquing and Baking"...)

HTH,

Diane B.
--- polymer clay "encyclopedia"
http://www.glassattic.com/polymer/contents.htm
« Last Edit: June 08, 2006 04:10:45 PM by Diane B. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

POLYMER CLAY "ENCYCLOPEDIA" 
http://glassattic.com/polymer/contents.htm
few of my photos
http://s96.photobucket.com/albums/l163/DianeBB
(had to move them from YahooPhotos, so many now without captions)
DogGrrl
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2006 08:16:36 PM »

OMG Diane B you are the best PC Guru out there!  I don't know if you have ever seen that old tv show, Kung Fu but I picture you sitting in a zen garden, doing polymer clay art on fragile rice paper as you dispense your Polymer Clay wisdom to grasshoppers like myself.

This grasshopper thanks you immensely!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
5 Great Prom Looks for Any Budget
Fashion Tips And Trends For Busy Moms
Are These New White Jeans Actually Resistant To Stains?
These Festival Outfits Are Everything!
The Crop Top Trend
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...