A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 298,711
Currently Running With Scissors:
719 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: felted cd case - now i really have added the pattern  (Read 18614 times)
Tags for this thread: pattern  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ysolda
« on: July 26, 2004 06:03:33 AM »

what do you think? any ideas for something to use as a button? in case your interested debbie bliss cashmerino takes ages (about 30-40 mins by hand) to felt.
http://paper-doll.co.uk/cdcase_closed.jpg
http://paper-doll.co.uk/cdcase_open.jpg

Felted Cd case pattern:

materials:
*Set of 4.5 mm double pointed needles
*50gms of worsted weight wool
*something about 1 - 1.5 inches in diameter for a button
*15 double sided cd sleeves (i got mine on amazon and they're made by case logic)
*3 empty jewel cases
guage: 4.5 stitches to the inch - the vertical tension isn't to important so don't worry about it

knitting:

base:
using 2 needles cast on 24 stitches and work 9 rows in stocking stitch (this holds about 15 sleeves, if you want a bigger case just work more rows)

pick up stitches to make a box shape:

at the end of this row pick up 8 stitches across the short side, 22 stitches across the cast on edge and 8 stitches across the 2nd short side of the rectangle. Introduce your other 2 or 3 needles as you do this so that you have the original 24 stitches on 1 needle and the rest split between two more needles.
All this picking up should take you right back round ready to knit across your original 24 stitches.

Sides:

Knit every row in the round until the case is 5 inches deep.
Next round: k1,p1,k1,p1,k15,p1,k1 to end
Next round: p1,k1,p1,k1,p1,k15,p1,k1 to end
Repeat these 2 rows 6 times (this will give you a moss stitch - aka seed stitch border with the center 14 stitches of the 24 original stitches in stocking stitch - these 24 stitches will form the flap)
Next row: k1,p1,k1,p1,k15,p1,k1,p1,k1,p1, Cast off the next 38 stitches, this should leave you only the original 24 stitches on 1 needle.

Flap:
Work on 2 needles knitting back and forth. Continue the pattern of a 5 stitch moss stitch border on either side with stocking stitch in the center that was established in the last 8 rounds.
When flap measures 4 inches: first five stitches - moss stitch, k. 4, cast off the centre 6 stitches, finish row in pattern, turn and work back across (all in pattern). When you get to the cast off point cast on 6 stitches and finish the row.
Next row: moss stitch across whole row.
Work 6 more rows in moss stitch.
Cast off.
Weave in all loose ends.

Felting:

First check that your case is a little baggy for the number of sleeves (with cds in them) you want to use. If its snug already you probably don't want to felt this project.

I felt by hand as follows: wearing gloves fill a sink with hot soapy water (as hot as you can stand and I use wool wash, use plenty of soap). Then agitate the knitting in the water until it starts to felt. Rub it between your hands, squish it, etc. When it has started felting test it for size by slipping the 3 jewel cases inside. When they fit snug take them out and rinse the knitted case well under cold running water. Roll it up in a towel to squish the excess water out. Put the jewel cases back inside and smooth the felted case out so if fits them exactly. Leave them inside while the felt dries, (faster in a warm place).

Sew on your button, put your cds in the sleeves, slip them inside and you're done.

Hope that all works out ok, I just made it up as I went along so I've had to work it out form my finished item and memory.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2011 09:07:59 PM by jungrrl - Reason: changed non-working images to links. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

knitting patterns and all sorts of  crafty adventures: http://ysolda.me.uk
krampalicious

fire in the disco!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2004 06:35:16 AM »

cute!  the color is so nice,  and if you're into politics, one of those old, big political campaign buttons (ie: "i like ike") would be really cute to use as a button.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ysolda
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2004 02:43:13 AM »

hmm.. thats an idea... no one really uses those badges here, but ive got some green party ones... and lots of anti iraq war ones but those make me sad and angry  Angry
THIS ROCKS   Logged

girlypirate
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

my arms are too short to box with God.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2004 05:37:09 AM »

or what about from your favorite cafe or store?  those tend to have few negative connotations.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
emling
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2004 06:42:51 AM »

Ooh, how lovely--I went to Target the other day for CD cases, and was sorely disappointed.

I also admire your moxie for using such a spendy yarn on a felting project.  It must be super-soft.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ysolda
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2004 07:47:20 AM »

tehee its not that pricey here and i got it on sale and i only used 1 ball so it was only about 1.50 - less than 3 dollars i think Smiley and the sleeves were the same price for a pack of 50 (to hold 100cds) as a crappy dull case for 20 cds was so im happy. its not the connotations of the anti war badges im worried about - i spent months doing little but organising demos and making a film about it but they just make me sad - i remmebr thousands of schoolkids on the streets so hopeful they could make a difference to the world
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ysolda
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2004 07:47:52 AM »

oh and i can write up a pattern if you want it - its pretty simple tho
THIS ROCKS   Logged

emling
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2004 01:01:29 PM »

I'm soooo jealous you can get Debbie Bliss for that cheap! Yet another reason to move to the UK .. .. (I assume that's where you are)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ysolda
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2004 01:59:38 AM »

yeah, im in edinburgh, its purdy... debbie bliss is normally about twice that price, and the chunkier yarns cost a small fortune... i dont understand the huge difference but oh well... debbie bliss is about the same as jaeger or rowan yarn, more or less. But they're probably more expensive in the states too. It probably was a bit of a waste using this yarn for this cos although it is beutifully soft and fuzzy thats not reallky neccesary for my cds. It made a lovely kittyville hat tho  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

superminx
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2004 03:01:10 AM »

Love it, love it. A pattern would groove if you have time. Sad and angry with the knowledge you tried to make a change is better than apathetically accepting and expecting someone else to make your decisions. Use your buttons with pride. Lets remember people: "Fighting for peace is like f***ing for virginity", but lots more people get hurt Kiss
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Cook Barbecued Lime and Lemon Grass Pork
How to Cook Mini Lamb Satays
How to Cook Chinese Pancakes
How to Prepare a Thai Breakfast
How to Cook Thai Chicken with Coconut and Basil
Latest Blog Articles
Challenge #104 Halloween Costume Winner
@Home This Weekend: Painted Countertops
Tute Tuesday: Paper Lantern/Ball Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...