A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 300,889
Currently Running With Scissors:
690 Guests and 25 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Mr. Octopi - Octopus with Instructions  (Read 8813 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

boo
« on: June 08, 2006 12:34:46 PM »

Knottydottie has FINALLY received Mr. Octopi, a knitted Octopus that was very very fun to make for the Wish Swap 9.

Inspired by the crochet version:
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=78946.0

I made this:

I don't really have a pattern, it's quite easy to follow, and if anyone wants to try this, I'll try to give some directions.

But really, just knit as you go and don't be scared, it'll be your very own and friendly Mr. Octopi.

Yarn: Zorro (portuguese yarn) worsted weight (100% acrilic - so it would be machine washable)
Needles: Set of 4 DPN's, 4 mm (use whatever you like - or ajust needles to yarn of choice)
Gauge: not important, really

Head:
CO 9 sts, distribuit them between the 3 needles and make one increase (I made kfb) on the beggining and end of each needle every 2nd round until desired diameter for your octopi head (you'll make 2 increases every 2nd round).

Then, decrease in the beggining of each needle one stitch every 4th round twice.
Count your stitches and keep them alive in a bit of thread or whatever.

Tentacles:
Ok, Math. Don't be scared. You counted the stitches for the head, now divide that number by 8. Each tentacle will start with that number. I've made my tentacles with 10 sts each, but I had to make a couple of increases at the 2 round to get to that number. Do the same.

Do the tentacles with the DPN's until desired leght, just like the fingers part of gloves. Knit, knit knit the crazy  little legs.
When you reach to desired lenght, just pass the yarn trough the live sts and weave all ends.

Do exactly the same for the rest of the 7 tentacles, starting from the live sts from the head.

Base: Knit RS rows, purl WS rows
Math again, very easy, don't be scared. Measure the diameter from the head.
Lets make a circle.
CO 2 sts, and every 2nd round, increase all sts (you'll double the number of sts in the needle - first 4, then 8, then 16, etc) until you have the diameter of the head minus 1 inch. (I had 13 cm when subtracting 1 inch)
Knit along until you have the number of the diameter of the head MINUS the increase part (in my case I knitted in st st for 4 cm).
Then you'll start to decrease (k2tog all round) until you have 2sts left.
BO.

Stuff your little octopus (start with the tentacles) with whatever material you like (pick machine washable stuffing) weave all ends you may have (I didn't sew the tentacle bits because the're hidden, but be my guest) and seam the base to the head.

Sew or glue the eyes, embroider a mouth, whatever you like, it'll be your octopus. You're very own octopus.

P.S.- Sorry about the bad english, I did try to do my best.

« Last Edit: February 28, 2007 03:01:20 AM by boo » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Locutus137
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2006 12:54:17 PM »

That is so cool.  Thanks for the pattern.  Reminds me of Oswald (from a kid's cartoon) - my son loves the show so I may have to make one for him. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hardcoremothball
I can't think of anything clever to say

French Toast...Get it?

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2006 07:50:39 PM »

o snap! he's awsome! sooo cute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ugliducklyn
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2006 08:34:17 PM »

Thanks so much for the pattern!  He is the cutest octopus I have ever seen, and I can't wait to make one!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Neveth
Rated PG-13 for language and mild peril.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2006 12:47:16 AM »

My boyfriend can vouch for this: My reaction upon seeing this was "*gaaaaaaaaaaaaaasp!!* *points at monitor* I WAAAAAAANT ONE! I'll wear it for a hat!!"

This is SO on my list of things to make after I finish this purse.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
esmerelda

And pli, revel, chanter, boogeh...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2006 02:00:07 AM »

boo, it's the cutest octopus I've ever seen!!!  If I wasn't so utterly useless at knitting with dpns I would give it a go.  I hate dpns  Cry  And you can make so many cool things out of them too!  Maybe this will be the project that helps me conquer them (**hope!**)

P.S. your english is wonderful - don't be daft!  I loved the little 'math' comments Grin Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

boo
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2006 05:20:51 AM »

Thank you all for your comments! I can't wait to see a little army of cutle little octopus spread in the world!

boo, it's the cutest octopus I've ever seen!!!  If I wasn't so utterly useless at knitting with dpns I would give it a go.  I hate dpns  Cry  And you can make so many cool things out of them too!  Maybe this will be the project that helps me conquer them (**hope!**)

Don't be silly. Working with DPN's it's the same, you always work two needles at the same time, same thing.
But.. if you're really into knitting with straights, try it anyway, you'll only have to seam the head and the 8 tentacles, for a person, such as I, who hates hand sewing, it's kind of a pain, but it's not impossible.

« Last Edit: June 09, 2006 05:27:29 AM by boo » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Clay Pants
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2006 12:02:00 PM »

Awww I love Mr Octopi! I want to make one too, I'm not that great at knitting just yet, (i don't have a clue about how you got the tentacles attached to the body) but darn it, I think I just may have to try!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
redheadedali

I don't know what that means. - Brennan

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2006 12:42:16 PM »

So cute. Looks totally cuddly. Once I get over me fear of DPNs, I will have to make one.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

This is why I suggested attack dogs, but no, my mother wanted an alpaca.- Logan, Veronica Mars

http://redheadedali.livejournal.com
boo
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2006 06:35:25 AM »

(i don't have a clue about how you got the tentacles attached to the body)

You don't attach the tentacles to the body, you pick up some of the live stitches you left in the head, and knit them around... If you try this, you'll understand it better Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create Composition with the Rule of Thirds
Discover the World Press Photo Exhibit
How to Understand the Depth Of Field in Digital Photos
How to Zoom in On Your Photographic Subject
How to Transfer Photos from Your Digital Camera to Computer
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight On: Stamping
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Jose Romussi
Tute Tuesday: Imprinting on Concrete

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...