A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 299,157
Currently Running With Scissors:
455 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: L.A.M.B Gwen Stefani inspired hat, help with pattern  (Read 53314 times)
Tags for this thread: pattern  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

nesatchr
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2006 12:55:08 PM »

Single crochet and double crochet are different stitches. Double crochet means you wind the yarn around the hook once before you insert the hook in the stitch from the previous row. Then you wind around and pull through like single crochet. But then you have two more wind-and-pull steps instead of one (like with single crochet or sc). You can tell what lookds like doube crochet (dc) because the vertical part of the stitch is taller.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
discoprincess
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2006 06:17:46 PM »

That hat is cool...

Look here:

http://www.crochetpatterncentral.com/directory/hats.php

for ideas.  Cheesy

That's where I start
THIS ROCKS   Logged

No, I was merely reading the Muggle magazines. I do love knitting patterns.
-- Dumbledore

Ravelry: disco
GummiSteph
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2006 07:44:07 PM »

haha dexterchick, and I thought I was the only one who enjoyed pauly shore movies
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dexterchickk
« Reply #13 on: June 12, 2006 02:38:24 PM »

haha.  You gotta love Encino Man, young Brendan Fraser-mmmm....

Anyway, I made one up this weekend. So here goes...(sorry if this gets too long)

OK, here's what I did.  Mine's not as large as the one in the pic, so I would just go up one hook size or do one more increase row if you want it just like the picture.  I like mine-I'm wearing it right now!

I used:
Red Heart Super Saver Yarn--one skein(8oz) is moooore than enough
size H--5.00mm hook (b/c thats what I had-again if you want it floppier I'd go up to a 5.5mm)

ch. 4, join with sl. st to make a ring. 
Row 1:  ch 2(counts as first dc here and throughout), 10 dc in ring,join(10sts)
Row 2:  ch 2, dc in same st, *2dc in each st* around, join(20sts)
Row 3:  ch 2,*2dc in every other st* around(30sts)
[^this probably want the best way to write it, should be *dc in first st, 2dc in next* around, but of course, the first time, the ch2 counts as the first dc]
Row 4:  ch 2, *dc in first 2 sts, 2dc next st* around (40sts)
Row 5:  ch 2, *dc in first 3 sts, 2dc in next st* around (50sts)
Row 6:  ch 2, *dc in first 9 sts, 2 dc in next st* around (55sts)
Row 7:  ch 2, *dc in first 10 sts, 2 dc in next st* around (60sts)
Row 8:  ch 2, *dc in first 11 sts, 2dc in next st* around (65sts)
Row 9:  ch 2, *dc in first 12 sts, 2dc in next st* around (70 sts)
Row 10+: 1 dc in each st around
[this is where I added stripes]
continue until desired length( I did 8 rows), then switch to sc for 10 more rows(or until you meet desired length)

so if you want it longer, just add more dc rows after Row 10.  If you want it bigger, I'd go up to a 5.5mm hook or just add one more increase row
(ie.--row 10: ch 2, *dc in first 13 sts, 2dc in next st* around, join--then continue on with 1dc in each sts until it is long enough)

it took a little trial and error to get the increases right so it wouldn't be either too boxy or too cone-shaped, but this version came out quite nice.  If you're worried about gauge, I decide mine by measuring the circumference of my head in the position that I would want to wear it(if that makes sense--lay the tape around where you'd imagine the band of the hat to lie).  Then I crocheted up a swatch in sc(as this gauge is what really matters, b/c its used for the band).  I got 12 sts=4" on my 5.00mm hook with the redheart super saver.  I wanted a band that was 24"( I know it sounds like alot but trust me).  Soooo, 12 X 6=72 sts.  I did 70 b/c it was a nice round number and this yarn has a tendency to give anyway.  In fact, I've put the hat on and off maybe 4 or 5 times today and its already loosening up.

So sorry I don't have a picture yet.  I will post one this evening when I get back home.  Hope you guys try it.  It was easy and only took a few hours.  If you stripe it, it could be the perfect stash-buster.  I'm going to get some nicer yarn and make another!
« Last Edit: June 13, 2006 10:06:48 AM by dexterchickk » THIS ROCKS   Logged
dexterchickk
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2006 02:50:31 PM »

ok, so to clarify(I just read what I wrote and I dont want to confuse you if you're new at crochet)
--at the end of each row you join with a sl st to the first stitch of the row.
--the ch2 acts as the first stitch in each row, so for example, on row 1 you ch2, then really you're only doing 9dc in the ring, since the chain counts as your first--this is the same throughout, so on row 6, the first time you only do 8dc then 2dc in next stitch, THEN for the rest of the row you do 9dc then 2dc in next stitch.  I hope this makes sense to you.
--row 3 is a bit confusing, I mean that you do 1dc in first stsche then 2dc in next(but the first chain counts as the first dc so you'd start with 2dc then alternate)

Phew--I hope I didnt make it worse. haha Grin let me know if you need help
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pfirsch

Una vida de miedo es una media vida

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2006 06:25:50 PM »

Take a look at Crocheting in Rounds by Andrew Burton.  It's a picture tutorial of what everybody is explaining in words.

You should probably also read about the Magic Adjustable Ring so that there won't be a little hole at the top of your hat.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dexterchickk
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2006 08:25:06 AM »

Ok, so finally...here are the pix.

I think mine is a little shorter than the LAMB version, so just add a few more rows after Row10 if you want it longer.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2006 01:07:10 PM by dexterchickk » THIS ROCKS   Logged
LittleJoi
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2006 09:16:25 AM »

I like that kind of hat and I am a huge Gwen Stefani fan. She has unique style. But of course I will write my own pattern for it cause I never can use anyone elses. lol. I love doing things the hard way. Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Blog: Sweet crafty goodness from me to you http://www.deliciousstitches.blogspot.com/
discoprincess
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2006 09:57:58 PM »

Nice work!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

No, I was merely reading the Muggle magazines. I do love knitting patterns.
-- Dumbledore

Ravelry: disco
Mickele
Exclamation POINT!

Whoosh.

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2006 10:03:32 PM »

I can do this! I know thoses stitches!  Shocked

Does anyone know what kind of yarn is used in the first picture? It looks so slick.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My blog where I amuse myself.
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Panasonic DMC-LX3: Set Manual Focus Function
Panasonic DMC-LX3: Set ISO Function
Panasonic DMC-LX3: Set Format Function
Panasonic DMC-LX3: Set Flash Function
Panasonic DMC-LX3: Set Exposure Compensation Function
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hostess Gift

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...