A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 304,868
Currently Running With Scissors:
447 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: L.A.M.B Gwen Stefani inspired hat, help with pattern  (Read 51985 times)
Tags for this thread: pattern  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

GummiSteph
« on: June 08, 2006 11:45:57 AM »

i have been wanting one of these hats for ages, have seen it on celebs like Kiera Knightley and Gwen Stefani but could never find a picture.  I finally found one that Gwen makes for L.A.M.B. here goes

I am a knitter just new to crocheting, but I really want to make this hat!  To me it just looks like a tube, but I have no idea how to do that with crocheting.  For example, with knitting you would start at the widest part of the hat and move to the top, but I think with crocheting you would start from the top and work down.  Any tips?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
GummiSteph
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2006 06:34:49 AM »

no one has any tips?  Embarrassed
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CraftinMyAssOff

~Crafty Goddess~

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2006 06:42:16 AM »

maybe u could just make a tube, like u said, and just gather the stitches at the top.  it's hard to say what the back looks like.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I NEED shrinky dink straight pins for my sewing.  Can anyone help me? lol.

If anyone can make me a Chihuahua stuffie pincushion, I'd love u 4EVER !!
GummiSteph
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2006 06:58:38 AM »

Do you start with a little circle and then build on that until it is the width you want?  Like I said, i'm new to crocheting but i guess i can try something like that
THIS ROCKS   Logged
GummiSteph
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2006 06:59:25 AM »

Oh, also, can anyone tell me what kind of crochet stitches are being used?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
CraftinMyAssOff

~Crafty Goddess~

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2006 08:47:06 AM »

it looks like double crochet stich (DC).  u could make a chain of however long u want, and slip stitch to the first chain u made to make a circle, and then just keep crocheting around, slip stitching into the first stitch u make in that round(does that make sense).  To make a tube.  and when the tube is as long as u want it, u could just decrease the stitches until u have only one and fasten off.

This site may help:

Double crochet: http://www.anniesattic.com/crochet/content.html?content_id=55

Double crochet decrease: http://www.anniesattic.com/crochet/content.html?content_id=457

Chain stitch: http://www.anniesattic.com/crochet/content.html?content_id=1

Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I NEED shrinky dink straight pins for my sewing.  Can anyone help me? lol.

If anyone can make me a Chihuahua stuffie pincushion, I'd love u 4EVER !!
GummiSteph
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2006 08:54:31 AM »

thanks so much! I feel like such a newbie.  I can knit a sweater but i can't figure out how to make a hat, haha.  thanks again
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dexterchickk
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2006 11:12:46 AM »

I would start with a circle--chain maybe five or so, join w/ a sl st., then sc or dc(whichever you prefer) in the loop until the circle lies flat, join with a slip st.  Keep building rows of single or double crochet, increasing the same # of stitches as you made in the first loop--if that makes sense (ie. if you used 10 stiches in row 1, then row 2-make 2 stiches in each stitch of first row(20sts done), row3- single stitch in first stich, 2 in every other stitch, repreat to end(30sts), etc., etc.)
  do this until it looks like it would fit on your melon, then stop increasing, just stitch 1 in every stitch below until it is long and droopy like the pic.  It looks like they switched to sc for the last few rows to make a more durable, snug sort of binding. 

I've been wanting one of these too, so you know, I'll just make on this weekend.  I'm always crocheting hats, just by trial and error.  I usually make beanies, but these are so cool.  If it works, I'll post my results for ya!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
GummiSteph
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2006 11:17:55 AM »

Ok, dexterchick, thats what I thought.  I just got Happy Hooker so I made a circle like you are talking about last night so I get the idea.  One more question though, the rows nearest the edge are single crochet right? so are the rows farther up (like where the yellow stripe is) double crochet, or is that a different stitch?  I know I could just experiment, but it seems much easier to ask people who know what they're doing.  I'm glad you like the hat too!  My boyfriend has dreads and has many tams I like to steal, but these hats aren't as poofy as tams so I think i might like it even better.  I am also tickled that you called my head a melon, hehe
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dexterchickk
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2006 12:51:40 PM »

Yeah, it looks like the top part is double crochet.

"hows your melon buuuuudy?"
--Pauly Shore (Encino Man)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Christmas-Tree Table Topper
Professional-Looking Holiday Flower Containers
Felt Wine-Bottle Topper Craft
Martha Stewart Makes a Sweet-Gum Wreath
Seth Meyers and Martha Stewart Make Ball Garlands
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Easy Tile Coasters
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...