A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 297,551
Currently Running With Scissors:
631 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: blinged out lunchboxes  (Read 22475 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

mleak
« Reply #40 on: June 09, 2006 04:28:35 AM »

I absolutely *love* your project.  I read what you wrote to kaleesi about styrene, and I'm very interested I've never worked with it before.  To achieve the curve on the banana, did you have to use tons and tons of tiny pieces and just "glue" them all together?  Same question for the coke can...  Can you do simple curves with styrene, like a cylinder, or did you have use many narrow strips, or something?  Very cool stuff!

Of course I had to check out your portfolio site... and I have some questions there as well, if  you don't mind Smiley  PM me if I'm getting too off topic...  I liked the Acupuncture Chess a lot, and I'm very curious are the Master Lock Watches functional as both locks and clocks?  Also, did you fabricate everything yourself?  It's fantastic!  If so, what sorts of materials are you using, especially for, oh, things like the martini stuff and the wonka bar?  Is it cast plastic?  Or do you send the designs out somewhere?

Anyway, I love your stuff.  Really great!  Make more!

(and by the way, your work is very well documented.  kudos!  looks great.)

aww geez, and sorry for so many questions!  I just got so excited when I saw your work.  I really need to try to take some classes from my school's design department, I think...  the art program is pretty strong conceptually, but we don't seem to value craftsmanship in the least @_@  Okay.  I'm done now.  Once again, cool stuff!
« Last Edit: June 09, 2006 04:32:21 AM by mleak » THIS ROCKS   Logged

kirstyd
« Reply #41 on: June 09, 2006 05:14:31 AM »

Grin These are just INCREDIBLE! They absolutely rock without a doubt. Grin

Just checked out your site. Good Lord Girl but you're talented!!! What a contribution you have to make to the world!! Best wishes.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2006 05:26:23 AM by kirstyd » THIS ROCKS   Logged

today was good, today was fun, tomorrow is another one.   Dr Suess

my blog http://pompomrouge.wordpress.com/    my website www.pompomrouge.com
fishrubbergreen
« Reply #42 on: June 09, 2006 07:04:14 AM »

i will try to answer some of your questions mleak - and pm you with the unrelated ones

styrene comes in alot fo different thicknesses - if you use a thing one you can easily wrap it up like paper - a slightly thicker one is not going to bend at all. i had to use a fairly thick one becasue it needed t be sturdy enough to take teh glueing of rhinestones, the be able to hold the weight of the soda can when you wear it. i managed to get the basic cylinder of the can by slowly bending it with a rig and very slowly heating it up slightly and evenly to make it a bit more flexible*. for the tapered parts at the top and bottom i have to cut little darts into it and very slowly,patiently and annoyingly bend/glue them together to get those angles. afterwards (styrene is wicked sandable) i used some fine grade sandpaper and a little "plastic wood"**
to smooth out the curve. i can begin too tell you how much doing that sucked. the only thing that might have sucked more - the banana.

like i said before styrene is not a fan of fancy curves. it also if not well "glued" snaps apart very easily (you reall have to weld the seams well) and with a bunch of differnt pieces at different angles and curves, it took alot longer than the five minutes i had origionally invisioned.

styrene is really easy to use and clean and love it but it's not really so good for the organic shapes.

* styrene gets soft when it gets heated up - really soft, so the heating process was difficult becasue once it softenes and bents - it doesn't go back. so if i curved it just a little too much at one time while it was soft i would get a funky shape in the cylinder and have to start again.
but thanks to the softness/bendiness of styrene it can be used in a vaccuformer the best frigging invention in the world.

** plastic wood, is a kind of wood putty, made of plastic (duh) that has a chemical in it which is does the same as the welding glue (methylene chloride) so it kinda melts the styrene and sticks to it well.

ok i think i am filling this message board with too many techncial details - i am working on getting a tut for these lunchboxes - and maybe i will post up some how to things about styrene.

thank you everyone again Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rira

like a good book, i can't put this day back.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #43 on: June 09, 2006 07:42:35 AM »

Cheesy these made my day. I envy your talent. I second selling them. I have a few friends that would get a kick out of ice-d up lunch supplies . Smiley

You Rock. (and so does this!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Promise me you'll always remember: You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think...(Christopher Robin) 

it'll be ok in the end. if it's not OK, it isnt the end
Sarie23
« Reply #44 on: June 09, 2006 09:08:59 AM »

Those are so cool! Totally beats my lunchbox lol. The sandwich one is my favorite, and I don't eat bananas (yuck) but I know plenty of people who love them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~Sarah

http://sarie23.deviantart.com/
[[I post a bunch more on there]]
dexterchickk
« Reply #45 on: June 09, 2006 09:58:43 AM »

if you made new prototypes, sans bling, couldn't you make molds and cast them in plastic.  This would make selling them alot easier, you'd still have to bling them and add closures, but the hell of shaping would be averted.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ikissedmadonna
« Reply #46 on: June 09, 2006 03:42:50 PM »

Woah. Those are BEYOND cool. Fantastic job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Crafty, baby! <3
pokeraddict
« Reply #47 on: June 09, 2006 07:21:41 PM »

Shocked

this rocks'eded.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mintbamboo
« Reply #48 on: June 09, 2006 07:26:30 PM »

wow. thats....wow.

i love that you can wear them around your neck like the model in the first picture.

(this may have been asked/answered already, but) what kind of school do you go to??
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm your fool
Jhoulez
« Reply #49 on: June 09, 2006 07:58:52 PM »

THIS ROCKS!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make an Origami Flapping Bird
How to Fold an Origami Sailboat
How to Fold an Origami Swan
How to Fold an Origami Heart
How to Fold an Origami Ninja Star
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Banana Pudding
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...