A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 296,696
Currently Running With Scissors:
583 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 35
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Stitch 'n Bitch Projects  (Read 137311 times)
Tags for this thread: video_game , debbie_stoller  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

melidomi
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

knit like the wind!

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 28, 2003 12:15:27 PM »

I made the umbilical cord hat in white for a not yet born baby of unknown gender.  The hat is really cute. I figure if the baby turns out to be a girl, I could sew little felt 'petals' around the end of the cord and make it a flower hat.  I don't have any similar ideas for a boy though.  Any thoughs?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
stoliedina
« Reply #31 on: November 29, 2003 05:31:51 AM »

I'm working on the Alien Illusion Scarf as well, but my alien is coming out fine...hmm, maybe I made some mistake in reading the chart, because this is my first chart project too! Happy knitting!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

shimma shimma, glimma glimma, c'mere let me give you a lil' shhhparkle. - me Smiley

http://www.geekxnerd.com/
http://geekxnerd.etsy.com
knitgirl
« Reply #32 on: November 29, 2003 07:51:14 AM »

About the manly sweater and skully... Call me stupid, but I can't find 85%wool 15% mohair anywhere... Is there anything I can replace this yarn with? Maybe 100% wool?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jeska
« Reply #33 on: November 29, 2003 08:01:12 AM »

About the manly sweater and skully... Call me stupid, but I can't find 85%wool 15% mohair anywhere... Is there anything I can replace this yarn with? Maybe 100% wool?

Lamb's Pride is a very common yarn, you can find it online if you can't find it at your LYS.  Try Patternworks http://www.patternworks.com/.  Browse yarn by manufacturer, click on the Brown Sheep page.  Lamb's Pride Bulky (for skully) is about 6.50/ball.

You could probably substitute easily too, with any bulky weight yarn.  Fiber content doesn't really matter for this pattern, 100% wool or similar blend will work.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
renrig210

The devil bunny

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: November 29, 2003 08:10:35 AM »

The Lambs Pride bulky called for in Skully I found on ebay for 3.20 per skein (instead of the $7 I saw it for everywhere else).

It's an absolutely fab yarn to work with, but I'm sure any bulky sub would do.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
dani24

I am so smart! S-M-R-T....oops! I mean S-M-A-R-T

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: November 29, 2003 09:27:39 AM »

If a pattern calls for a specific yarn and you cannot find (or afford) that yarn, you can replace it with a variety of yarns.

The most important thing you need to look for when substituting yarns is gauge.  You'll want to replace a yarn that's bulky weight weight with another that's bulky weight (so if on the package it says "14 st/in" look for a another yarn that gets 14/st in.  You may even be able to use one that gets 13 or 15 st/in, but you will definitely need to change needle sizes.)  Gauge is important because if you do not match the gauge, and you follow the directions as they are, your item will come out either too small or too large.

As for the fiber content, you do not need to worry so much about that.  If you like the look of the example in the book, try looking for a yarn that either has wool and mohair in it (doesn't have to be the same amounts as in the suggested yarn).  Or look for a yarn that looks similar.  Or, try another yarn that you like instead.  I can rarely afford the yarn in the books (unless I can find it at one of my favorite discount yarn sites), so I almost always substitute yarns.  And I haven't had any problems yet.

You can also do a Google search for "substituting yarns" and you'll find a lot of information to help guide you in picking something else.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jeska
« Reply #36 on: November 29, 2003 09:41:22 AM »

Just to add some perspective here... Lamb's Pride is one of the least expensive wool yarns out there.  You won't find anything cheaper unless you find a REALLY GOOD sale, which is certainly possible (ebay is also a good option for deals). The next step down in price from Lamb's Pride is acrylic or acrylic blends.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
knitgirl
« Reply #37 on: November 29, 2003 06:48:19 PM »

ehe Thank you all for the answrs. It really helped me out!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
gen_m
« Reply #38 on: November 29, 2003 07:09:59 PM »

hi!

i'm fairly new at knitting, and i was wondering where you got the pattern for the star wristwarmers?  i LOVE stars and i'd love to give them a shot.

thanks!   Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

a photograph can be as striking and as haunting as a great painting or a fine poem.
- anonymous
renrig210

The devil bunny

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: November 29, 2003 08:31:13 PM »

they're in the book Stitch N Bitch
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 35 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
5 Lessons Sherri Shepherd Has Learned From Wearing Wigs
How to Get the Ombre Look Without Coloring Your Hair
How to Easily Switch Your Hair from Day to Night
Lisa Price on Using Items From Her Kitchen for Hair Care
Tia Mowry-Hardrict’s Top 5 Hair Must-Haves
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...