A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 297,208
Currently Running With Scissors:
396 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Book Bag  (Read 46752 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Phunkorama
« on: February 16, 2004 08:13:58 PM »

Hey, this is my first project post on here. So please don't make me cry.

I made a book purse using an old book called "Human Heredity" which I found at a little bookstore. I saw something like this on http://www.lavoleuse.com/handbags.html selling for $110. I don't have that kind of money to spend on a purse. I also don't have a digital camera, so I scanned it the best I could. Except, the best I could was, apparently, not so great. Scanners, pshh.

The side, inside, and spine were done before the handles and flower.

Right. Please don't mind the quality. And I'm a little bit upset that the book is kind of ratty. It even had a dirty pawprint on the first page.

I'm not sure if anyone wants to know how to make this... It was pretty easy; a cereal box, some hot glue, and some fabric, and voila! You can reply to this post if you'd like to know how to make it, I guess.

And, this project was a first time thing; I plan on making another one, now that I actually know how to do it. Maybe next time I'll sew instead of use cardboard, so they can open and close a bit better... like the ones at http://phone.victoryatsea.org/. Those are pretty.

I planned on putting more decorations on the outside, but decided not to since it had a nifty little pedigree-type design. But a pretty flower was enough.

Ah, how I love genetics.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2011 10:52:51 AM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed picture(s) » THIS ROCKS   Logged
sevenislucky

*...What will your anthem be?...*

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2004 08:33:43 PM »

wow...thats awsome!...you did such a great job...its incredibly cute!...i wish i could find some spiffy book so that i could do something great like that...hehe
THIS ROCKS   Logged

*...this is one side, my conventional side, an attraction to tradition, my vintage disposition...* - No Doubt
abricot
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2004 08:45:55 PM »

I've been wanting to make a bookbag for a long time! but the bookgeek side of me, will not let me tear apart a book to do so.... ooohhh the pain!

Cute handbag, I really love the cover of the book you used...  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lovely Craaaft! Wonderful Craaaft! Lovely Craaaft! Wonderful Craft. Cra-a-a-a-a-a-a-ft. Cra-a-a-a-a-a-a-ft. Cra-a-a-a-a-a-a-ft. Cra-a-a-a-a-a-a-ft. <--- sing to the tune of the "Spam" song....
kayray
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2004 09:14:48 PM »

I've been wanting to make a bookbag for a long time! but the bookgeek side of me, will not let me tear apart a book to do so.... ooohhh the pain!

Heheh I've got the same problem :)  We need somebody to
rip the pages out for us (while we're not looking).

It's a darling bag!

Kara
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://kayray.org/

Mary wished to say something very sensible, but knew not how.
tavandeb
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2004 09:27:22 PM »

that is really, really beautiful.  did you just glue the cover to the cereal box?  and how were the handles attached?  i love it.  
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Phunkorama
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2004 10:00:39 PM »

that is really, really beautiful.  did you just glue the cover to the cereal box?  and how were the handles attached?  i love it.  

Aw, thanks so much  Grin I'm beaming.

So, overall, what I did waaaas:
I took the book, took out the pages with a razor (not one by one, goodness-- tok the razor to where the binding and the spine met), so the cover was still hard. Since the spine got flimsy, I used a rectangle cut from the cereal box to make it firm and hot glued the yellow striped fabric onto it. Then I realized, hey, if one part of the inside is striped, then the whole thing should be. So I just hot glued more yellow fabric onto the paper lining of the book. "BAG NEEDS SIDES," I thought. I cut out four long trapezoids from the cereal box, and glued two together for each side (to make it sturdier). Covered those in the stripey yellow fabric-- which also makes it look like pages when the book is standing up, which I thought was cool. Hot glued everything together-- folded material for handles and hot glued those in, as well. As well as the flower on the front.

So I basically got drunk on hot glue tonight. So much fun.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TinySoapyBubbles
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2004 04:35:56 PM »

Witty & well described directions! THanks for sharing... I like to find purse projects that I don't have to sew! Cause I don't know how to yet

J
THIS ROCKS   Logged
chainreaction
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2004 06:09:54 PM »

that's gorgeous! great job! and i love the colors together.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Bree
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2004 06:48:56 PM »

I've been wanting to make one of those ever since I saw them on that site! I just totally forgot until I saw yours! Thanks so much for reminding me. Now tomorrow I have to go find a book with a cool cover that I don't mind ruining ... that might be difficult.
Anyway, your purse looks great!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Just throw caution to the wind... then sit back and watch your life begin"
mem8716
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2004 08:37:38 PM »

HELLO JO I REGISTERED JUST TO SAY THAT YOUR BAG IS BOOTIFUL and you are "witty" HAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH. i think your next book back should be made from a LEO!!!!!! book. and i just almost typed that to mike tycon.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Must Have Beauty Items
Top Nail Polish Trends of Summer
3 Masks to Solve All Your Summer Skin Issues
How To Keep Your Makeup Perfect in the Summer Heat
Simple Guide to Makeup Brushes
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Pumpkin Spice Latte
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...