A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 302,566
Currently Running With Scissors:
503 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Falls (fake hair...yay!)  (Read 41586 times)
Tags for this thread: hair_fall , dread_fall , yarn , wool , wool_dreads , featured_project  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

FrillzNpillZ

crooked teeth from empty smiles

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2004 08:56:57 AM »

I'm glad I could help you guys out Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

<3
carpejugulum

Gothic Martha Stewart

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2004 09:45:37 PM »

I make dreadfalls. Oh yes, yes I do.

There's how I look today. Coincidence that we took some photos and people are interested in hair today.

There's a close up of my dreads. They are made from steam-sealed silky jumbo synthetic hair that I purchased at a beauty supply store.

Quinnster's site (URL in a post above) is really the best place to learn how to create hair, but I would be glad to make a tutorial at some point for those of you who want to learn through this site. I do dreads from synthetic hair that are quite sleek and smooth, loose falls with wool yarn (keeps your ears warm!), and I've made a silly wig or two with craftfoam, plastic lacing, and tinsel.

You'd be surprised at what you can put in your hair these days!

And there are the wool falls.

I can also do dreads for folks if you'd like. They're not easy to do and are time consuming, so if you want to be lazy, sweet. I'd be glad to craft for you, just send me a message.  Grin

« Last Edit: January 19, 2004 09:52:09 PM by carpejugulum » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Well, you don't say.
Goddess
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2004 10:21:19 PM »

man, I wish I had a job where I could pull those off.....sometimes I miss my club days
THIS ROCKS   Logged
carpejugulum

Gothic Martha Stewart

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2004 01:34:44 PM »

Well, they're not permanent, so I don't wear them when I work.

And I don't seem to have club days, so my poor hair doesn't come out and play nearly enough. So, by gods, we take the world by storm and the wolf by the ears and wear them to class!!!

teehee. :-)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Well, you don't say.
cheesedip

Llama? Hmmmm...

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2004 09:48:06 AM »

OOH! Please do a tutorial! I've begged my Mum to let me order some online, but she just laughs and says sarkily "You could make those yourself" which is one of my catchphrases when we're shopping. But now it looks like I can, if you do a tutorial. Pretty please? they're goergeous.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"It is much more comfortable to be mad and know it, than to be sane and have one's doubts."
- G. B. Burgin
stellato_escuro

If I can't be my own, I'd feel better dead.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2004 04:20:11 PM »

Here are some great net resources for ideas and supplies for hair extentions;

www.ragdolly.net has galleries, allsorts of styles of fake hair and how-tos. I've bought a few things there, and they're soooo fun, but the galleries are worth looking at even if you don't buy there.

www.sinnocence.com

www.trishastar.com

www.divaluxe.com

http://www.quinnster.co.uk is a great place for even more ideas, and there's more D.I.Y. stuff.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my blog for current projects and swap stalking info: daydreamhouse.wordp ress.com
Lots and lots of things to be made: pinterest.com/stellatoescuro/
carpejugulum

Gothic Martha Stewart

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2004 07:02:48 PM »

For the best dreads, DIY...

Go to http://www.quinnster.co.uk

Once again, that is really the fake hair bible right there. I owe a good majority of my knowledge to Quinnster and her British cohorts.

I will attempt to get a camera and take pictures of my personal dread-making process as soon as I can, but here's a shortened version for now...

First, one needs something to attach the hair to. Most folks use the stretchy lace you can get at sewing shops, a leg from old tights, a ponytail holder, or a strip of fabric. I pin the lace (which I what I like to use as it's dainty) to my portable ironing board so it stretches across the short length of the board. Then I get a small, 3/4 inch wide segment of synth hair (which you can buy online or at local beauty supply stores). This is tied in a half hitch knot over the piece of lace, but you can figure out your own favorite attachment method. After this is completed, I take each end of the hair separately and backcomb it thoroughly. When you are finished, you should have two ratty tangled pieces of hair that are knotted to the lace in the middle.

I use a Sunbeam clothing iron that is on a medium setting with as much steam as possible. I twist each ratty section of hair separately, mist it with water, and then carefully iron the hair until it stays in its sticklike form. This of course is easier said than done, but be careful to keep the hair from burning and keep practicing.

Repeat. Duh. A good fall has between 20 and 40 dreads in it, depending on how much weight your head can support and how much hair you like to wear.

The final product:

This process doesn't always work out for people, so once again, I can offer to make dreadfalls for a smaller price than most vendors charge. Just email me.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2004 07:05:54 PM by carpejugulum » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Well, you don't say.
carpejugulum

Gothic Martha Stewart

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2004 07:04:39 PM »

Here are some great net resources for ideas and supplies for hair extentions;

www.ragdolly.net has galleries, allsorts of styles of fake hair and how-tos. I've bought a few things there, and they're soooo fun, but the galleries are worth looking at even if you don't buy there.

www.sinnocence.com

www.trishastar.com

www.divaluxe.com

http://www.quinnster.co.uk is a great place for even more ideas, and there's more D.I.Y. stuff.

Caveat emptor: Do not purchase from Ragdolly unless you are willing to wait. Her hair and goggles are of wonderful quality but she ships on her own time. Divaluxe also has great stuff but sometimes she is on hiatus from selling.

You can also try the LJ community: fakehair.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Well, you don't say.
missy
« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2004 10:57:24 PM »

i love love love fake hair. i'm wearing it in my profile picture! Wink you didn't think my pigtails were that long now, did you? Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cherriesrockmysox
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2004 03:53:36 AM »

carpejugulum--
wow wow wow
amazing hair.. i love the candy cane stripe look for accent.. along with a nice base color.
kickass. I'd love some!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Video Editing - Sony Vegas Basics P.5
Video Editing - Sony Vegas Basics P.6
Video Editing - Sony Vegas Basics P.2
Video Editing - Sony Vegas Basics P.3
Video Editing - Sony Vegas Basics P.1
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...