A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 302,587
Currently Running With Scissors:
679 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Easy Stencils  (Read 7808 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

breeknee
« on: December 16, 2003 08:16:31 PM »

I definately want my own professional looking tee's, but screening is tres expensive, so I devised my own little way, on a budget, of course.

What Yer Gonna Need:

Image Program such as Paint Shop Pro or Photoshop

Ink Jet Printer (colored ink not needed)

Printable Transparencies (not ALL transparencies are printable on ink jet, so check! Avery is what I use) OR printable sticker paper (full sheets)

Sharp razor blade, scalple, or crafting knife

Temporary Spray Adhesive

Acrylic Paint

Fabric Medium (sold in craft section of Walmart)

Instructions:

1. Select an image you like that is not too intricate, and open it on your image program. Decrease the color count to 2 colors (or three if you want a duo toned print) and size it accordingly, then print onto transparency or sticker paper.

2. Secure the transparency or sticker paper to your work space (note: the razor will cut whatever is underneath) and begin to cut away the negative portion of your stencil. As you cut, keep in mind that some portions of black that are not connected to outter portions will have to be made as "islands" and placed in the middle separately. To avoid this, cut a small bridge from one omitted section to the next, and paint in later with a paint brush.
3. Spray the back of your stencil with a bit of temporary spray adhesive and center on your shirt, building, sidewalk, mailbox, fabric, purse, laptop, etc.
4. Mix fabric medium with your color choice of acrylic paint. Acrylic can be used alone, but does not look as authentic and professional as when fabric medium is added.
NOTE: To make a duo-toned print for more detailed photos that just don't cut the cake as one layer, simply print out two copies of your stencil, after having set the color to 3 or 4 colors. On one, cut out the black parts, and on the other, cut out the gray. Stencil the black cutout first, then after it dries, use a second color and stencil over it with second stencil. Voila! I hope it isn't too confusing, if it is, email me!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
flamgirlant
just your average crafty broad

I may be a woman but I ain't no lady

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2003 08:49:27 PM »

Thanks for posting!!!  So you find that using acrylic paints with the special medium looks/wears/feels like regular screen printed t's?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

breeknee
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2003 10:06:23 PM »

yep! it is really really cool too! I made lots as christmas gifts and people can't believe i did it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
IrishDaze

Erin Go Braugh!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2003 12:03:38 PM »

Sorry I don't know this, but can you pls explain what "special fabric medium" is to use with the acrylic paint and how to use it?  I've never heard of this item before, but I am *very* interested in "silkscreening" my own tees.  :-)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"When all else fails, tell the truth."
   -- Mark Twain
breeknee
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2003 02:07:24 PM »

No problem. Fabric medium, which I have noticed sells out fairly quickly in stores, is sold in a big acrylic paint style bottle. You can mix fabric medium with acrylic paint to make it more flexible and less stiff when used to paint on shirts, or stencil onto fabric. It's really spiffy stuff! You can also use it to glue a photo face down onto a shirt then put more medium on top (much like decoupage). After the medium has dried overnight, water is applied with a sponge on top and the paper is rolled off, but the picture on the other side of the paper remains intact on the fabric. This is amazing stuff, it looks and feels just like a screen printed shirt. It even has that low semi-gloss effect.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Violet
constantly craftsterbating

and a half

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2003 05:35:43 PM »

i've already decided that everybody gets custom stenciled tshirts from me next year for christmas! yay for stenciling!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

my knitting blog: http://violetsknits.blogspot.com
................... ................... ..................
boycott sew fast, sew easy! visit www.freetostitchfre etobitch.org
Debzy

I'm a Scouser!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2003 02:11:41 PM »

thanks for these instructions, breeknee! i've been wanting to do a bit of stencilling for a while  Smiley

do you think sticky-backed paper would work, instead of having to spray adhesive on? you could just peel the backing off?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself.
-George Bernard Shaw
Lyd

I'm really not a llama; I just play one on tv.

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2003 07:23:03 PM »

http://stencilrevolution.com/homepage.php has an amazing collection of stencils. I could spend hours going through their gallery.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Jive
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2003 11:25:52 PM »

Interesting idea.  Would love to see some examples of the results you've gotten with painting through stencils.  

However, I would have to disagree with screenprinting being too expensive.  Sure, it's incredibly expensive for small runs of a design if you look only at the 'pro' units that cost $2k+.  But building a one-color or even multi-color printer is very simple and can cost less that $15.  All that remains is getting the silkscreen fabric and frames (which tends to be much more economical if you buy the pieces separately rather than preassembled), some ink, and emulsion.

In the end, you might spend a little bit more than using this method to make stencils (which is not a bad idea at all), but screenprinting for small quantities (even one-offs) is by no means impractical.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
thewalrusisme
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2004 03:11:22 PM »

So.. i tried my first stenciling.. but not with any of the nifty things mentioned above

just used... the clear plasticy stuff from photo albums, an exacto knife, makeup sponge and fabric paint

the first attempt looked nifty until i realized that i didnt have a contrasting color to use for the skin and tried to draw in an outline freehand with a wood skewer [very bad idea as u can see]

http://members.aol.com/comecleanrelax/rbr2tone.jpg

then i decided it was better to use a diff't color for the skin and making a stencil for  it [leaving me no contrasting colors for the clothing].  I think this worked better..altho i had to restencil the dress a couple times, making her a plus size righteous babe. which i thinks ok.... i dunno, give me ur input

http://members.aol.com/comecleanrelax/rbrstencil.jpg

oh and just fyi, the finished one [probably try this a third time] is going to be a patch for my bookbag
« Last Edit: June 04, 2013 02:09:47 PM by jungrrl - Reason: changed non-working image(s) to link(s) » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Art is why I get up in the morning.  My definition ends there.  It doesn't seem fair that I'm living for something I can't even define." ~ A.Difranco
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Prepare a Japanese Bento Box for Kids
How to Make Pickled Vegetables for a Japanese Bento Box
Slow Food Fast: Dal with Poached Eggs, Cilantro and Yogurt
How to Make Rainbow Sushi Rolls
How to Make Kung Pao Shrimps
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...