A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 302,371
Currently Running With Scissors:
504 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Book Bag  (Read 48304 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Phunkorama
« on: February 16, 2004 08:13:58 PM »

Hey, this is my first project post on here. So please don't make me cry.

I made a book purse using an old book called "Human Heredity" which I found at a little bookstore. I saw something like this on http://www.lavoleuse.com/handbags.html selling for $110. I don't have that kind of money to spend on a purse. I also don't have a digital camera, so I scanned it the best I could. Except, the best I could was, apparently, not so great. Scanners, pshh.

The side, inside, and spine were done before the handles and flower.

Right. Please don't mind the quality. And I'm a little bit upset that the book is kind of ratty. It even had a dirty pawprint on the first page.

I'm not sure if anyone wants to know how to make this... It was pretty easy; a cereal box, some hot glue, and some fabric, and voila! You can reply to this post if you'd like to know how to make it, I guess.

And, this project was a first time thing; I plan on making another one, now that I actually know how to do it. Maybe next time I'll sew instead of use cardboard, so they can open and close a bit better... like the ones at http://phone.victoryatsea.org/. Those are pretty.

I planned on putting more decorations on the outside, but decided not to since it had a nifty little pedigree-type design. But a pretty flower was enough.

Ah, how I love genetics.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2011 10:52:51 AM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed picture(s) » THIS ROCKS   Logged
sevenislucky

*...What will your anthem be?...*

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2004 08:33:43 PM »

wow...thats awsome!...you did such a great job...its incredibly cute!...i wish i could find some spiffy book so that i could do something great like that...hehe
THIS ROCKS   Logged

*...this is one side, my conventional side, an attraction to tradition, my vintage disposition...* - No Doubt
abricot
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2004 08:45:55 PM »

I've been wanting to make a bookbag for a long time! but the bookgeek side of me, will not let me tear apart a book to do so.... ooohhh the pain!

Cute handbag, I really love the cover of the book you used...  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lovely Craaaft! Wonderful Craaaft! Lovely Craaaft! Wonderful Craft. Cra-a-a-a-a-a-a-ft. Cra-a-a-a-a-a-a-ft. Cra-a-a-a-a-a-a-ft. Cra-a-a-a-a-a-a-ft. <--- sing to the tune of the "Spam" song....
kayray
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2004 09:14:48 PM »

I've been wanting to make a bookbag for a long time! but the bookgeek side of me, will not let me tear apart a book to do so.... ooohhh the pain!

Heheh I've got the same problem :)  We need somebody to
rip the pages out for us (while we're not looking).

It's a darling bag!

Kara
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://kayray.org/

Mary wished to say something very sensible, but knew not how.
tavandeb
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2004 09:27:22 PM »

that is really, really beautiful.  did you just glue the cover to the cereal box?  and how were the handles attached?  i love it.  
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Phunkorama
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2004 10:00:39 PM »

that is really, really beautiful.  did you just glue the cover to the cereal box?  and how were the handles attached?  i love it.  

Aw, thanks so much  Grin I'm beaming.

So, overall, what I did waaaas:
I took the book, took out the pages with a razor (not one by one, goodness-- tok the razor to where the binding and the spine met), so the cover was still hard. Since the spine got flimsy, I used a rectangle cut from the cereal box to make it firm and hot glued the yellow striped fabric onto it. Then I realized, hey, if one part of the inside is striped, then the whole thing should be. So I just hot glued more yellow fabric onto the paper lining of the book. "BAG NEEDS SIDES," I thought. I cut out four long trapezoids from the cereal box, and glued two together for each side (to make it sturdier). Covered those in the stripey yellow fabric-- which also makes it look like pages when the book is standing up, which I thought was cool. Hot glued everything together-- folded material for handles and hot glued those in, as well. As well as the flower on the front.

So I basically got drunk on hot glue tonight. So much fun.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TinySoapyBubbles
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2004 04:35:56 PM »

Witty & well described directions! THanks for sharing... I like to find purse projects that I don't have to sew! Cause I don't know how to yet

J
THIS ROCKS   Logged
chainreaction
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2004 06:09:54 PM »

that's gorgeous! great job! and i love the colors together.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Bree
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2004 06:48:56 PM »

I've been wanting to make one of those ever since I saw them on that site! I just totally forgot until I saw yours! Thanks so much for reminding me. Now tomorrow I have to go find a book with a cool cover that I don't mind ruining ... that might be difficult.
Anyway, your purse looks great!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Just throw caution to the wind... then sit back and watch your life begin"
mem8716
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2004 08:37:38 PM »

HELLO JO I REGISTERED JUST TO SAY THAT YOUR BAG IS BOOTIFUL and you are "witty" HAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH. i think your next book back should be made from a LEO!!!!!! book. and i just almost typed that to mike tycon.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Eye Spy: Huge Eyeball in Big City
Peripheral Vision 001: Eric Staller
Sandcastle World Championships
Tactile Pleasure in the Work of Judith Scott
Incredible Lifelike Human Statues
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Veggie Bolognese Sauce
Mountain Views
@Home This Weekend: Fabric Boxes

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...