A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 297,507
Currently Running With Scissors:
416 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Industrial e-lamp  (Read 17647 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

starstruq

Life is not black and white...it's GOLDEN!

View Profile
« on: December 03, 2003 06:06:25 PM »

Hi! My boyfriend and I made this lamp a while ago but I'm still in love with it so I figured I would share it with you.  I came up with the design and he figured out all of the technical stuff (he's quite handy that way....stay tuned for pics of the metal buckets we are turning into speakers that look like flower pots)  Sorry the pics look so funky.  In real life the light bulbs aren't all yellowy- they are actually super white.  

Let me know what you think.  If you want some sort of directions I can ask my little "bob the builder" to write some out but I think it is pretty tricky.

Misty (starstruq)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

When you dim your light to let someone else shine...the whole world gets a little bit darker.
Ice
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2003 06:11:14 PM »

I love that! Maybe I can talk my boyfriend into something like that. *giggle*
THIS ROCKS   Logged
missy
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2003 07:57:30 PM »

oh my gosh! i want directions! please ask him to write something up! how is everything connected there? and how many watts are in that lamp? wow! it is fantastic!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
binny
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2003 08:25:20 AM »

What a super awesome light fixture!   It's like some robot fantasy.  I've crave something like this every time I see those light fixtures that are super similar but with straight arms and more bulbs.  I wanna say I've seen them on some MTV awards show or something?  

Instructions would be wonderful.  
THIS ROCKS   Logged
susank
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2003 08:29:17 AM »

I'd love to see instructions too-- I'm a sucker for lighting.  Are the arms bendable or fixed?  Bendable would be rad, but seems to pose more wiring probs...

--susan.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

snoopendous
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2003 09:15:07 AM »

one thing I did which wasn't too hard to make something similar was that I bought these light sockets that came complete with cords for plugging in, through the American Science & Surplus catalog.  They had two sockets per cord so that basically you can screw in two lightbulbs at a time.

So then I took some wireform mesh that is pretty malleable, and formed a support system for the cord so that it would, like yours, be malleable yet take a cool shape.

Anyway, I did that with a few of the light socket fixtures that I got from the American Science & Surplus, and it looked kind of like what you've done.

I don't have a digital camera, but I think it looks cool.  I've also used those sockets and the wireform to form little sconces for the lights, putting some blue and red plastic paper on the wireform sconce so that the light shines through and makes different colors.  
THIS ROCKS   Logged
starstruq

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2003 08:41:17 PM »

the arms are bendable- we used a sort of conduit.  My boyfriend is working in LA right now but when he gets home I'll have him write out instructions.   Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

When you dim your light to let someone else shine...the whole world gets a little bit darker.
crazy_bout_you11
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2003 02:51:00 PM »

that lamp is so awesome. what material did you use for the bendy arms?? and do you know if you could paint it?? cause i would love one in like pink or something. and i know this is a little off the topic, but i love your clocks in the background!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
starstruq

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2003 06:25:18 PM »

yipeee I'm so glad people like my lamp!!!!!  

conduit bendy arms are metal but still thin and bendy.  We bought it with the wiring already in it from Home depot.  I think you'd be able to paint it just primer it.

oh and thanks for liking my clocks.  I want to  set them to 3 different time zones today...LA (where I am)  New York and London.

I'm still trying to get the wiring instructions from the old boyfriend.  
« Last Edit: December 08, 2003 06:31:34 PM by starstruq » THIS ROCKS   Logged

flamgirlant
just your average crafty broad

I may be a woman but I ain't no lady

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2003 08:46:16 PM »

That is FABULOUS!!!  I love it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Do a Cat Eye in a Hurry with Model Genevieve Morton
What It Looks Like When Old "Dallas" Meets New
Tips For Updating Your Fall Look
The Perfect Bridesmaid Makeup by House of Harper
Melt Proof Your Makeup with Primer
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...