A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 301,541
Currently Running With Scissors:
609 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Mini-skull Mini-scarf  (Read 16247 times)
Tags for this thread: featured_project  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

PrincessPeach

No, I'm not really a princess.

View Profile WWW
« on: March 31, 2004 05:52:52 PM »

I got the idea to make this mini-scarf from sugar│. My mom gave me a huge ball (think watermelon) of some sort of fluffly pink yarn that she had knitted half a sweater on. I frogged the sweater and used some of the yarn to make this mini-scarf. It's a keyhole scarf that's pretty short and about 2 inches wide. I think it serves more of an aesthetic purpose than any warming purpose.
http://www.runawaysquirrels.com/blogblog/archives/miniskull2.jpg
http://www.runawaysquirrels.com/blogblog/archives/miniskull.jpg
« Last Edit: October 21, 2011 11:29:31 AM by jungrrl - Reason: changed non-working images to links. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm sorry, but your princess is in another castle!
getinmumouthstuff

get in my mouth!!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2004 07:51:00 PM »

Arugggguuuuu!

How cute is that?  Did you use a template for the skull?  

I've seen many instructions on how to make a keyhole, but I've been not-so-good in my attempts at them.  Any thoughts?

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Goddess
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2004 08:32:37 PM »

I am having a hard time forming sentences to describe how unfrigginbelievably cute that scarf is, what stitch did you use?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PrincessPeach

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2004 09:22:15 PM »

Thanks, I'm glad you guys liked it!

getinmymouth: I didn't use a template for the skull. I just drew it free-hand on white felt, cut it out, taped it to black felt, and cut around it.

The keyhole was pretty easy to make.  I knit everything in pattern (k1p1).  I divided the stitches on the needle in half (18 stitches / 2 = 9 stitches) and knit  (in k1p1 pattern) the first half of the stitches. Then, instead of knitting the other half of the row, I turned the work over and with another needle, knit the 9 stitches I just knitted. I just keep knitting those 9 stitches over and over, leaving the other half resting on the other needle.  When that side is as long as I want my hole to be, I leave that side on a needle and cut the yarn after leaving about a 5 inch tail (to weave in later).  With the now free needle, knit the other side up until it meets the length of the first side of the hole.  Then, I just knit the entire row to join the two sides.  Hope that wasn't too confusing.

Goddess: I used a k1p1 all the way through. Casted on 18 in the beginning because the yarn turned out to be pretty thin.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

czarina
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2004 11:19:05 AM »

That's adorable! I never considered making cutouts in felt that way... I may try to cook up something like that... Thanks for sharing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
deliriousdream

doo doo doodly doo

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2004 11:28:00 AM »

this scarf is sosososo cute! what a great project for small amounts of yarn...do you have any estimate of how many yards you used?  

a tip for making keyholes:  keep track of how many rows you make on the first side, so you can make the same on the second side....my first keyhole was on a loosely knit scarf, so i didn't notice the 2 sides weren't exactly the same length when i rejoined them, so the end of the scarf is totally lopsided! oh well, it's cute anyways!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PrincessPeach

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2004 12:43:05 PM »

Sorry, I don't remember how many yards of yarn I used, but I still had more than half of the back of a sweater I frogged it from left, so it couldn't have been that much.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

czarina
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2004 12:52:27 PM »

I bet this scarf doesn't take that much yarn. This would  be a great project to make out of an odd ball from your stash. You might even be able to make it out of a ball that you've already partially used, although you may risk having a super short scarf if things don't work out...

-Mary
THIS ROCKS   Logged
czarina
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2004 07:55:24 AM »

I actually made a fuzzy one of these last night out of a ball of Schachenmayr paradiso that I had in my stash. I knit it loosely on 9s and was able to make a scarf a little more than a yard long -- it wraps around my neck almost 2 1/2 times. I don't know how many yards I used, since that information was not on the package, but it was a little 50g skein and as a ball was about the size of a small- to medium-sized apple.

-Mary
THIS ROCKS   Logged
schquimpy
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2004 10:18:12 PM »

i looooove this scarf! i don't know what it is about skulls+pink that's so appealing but i'm not complaining. i've been looking for a little scarf to work on for these warmer seasons. i am officiallly inspired Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

somewhere my vocational guidance counselor is laughing hysterically
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Nicole Scherzinger Makeup Look Tutorial
8 Fashion Mistakes That Instantly Age You
January 2014 NewBeauty TestTube Reveal
CC Cream Reviews
The Rules to Wearing Dark Lipstick Like a Pro
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: TVP Jerky
@Home This Weekend: Mirror Wall
January 21, 2015 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...