A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 302,612
Currently Running With Scissors:
816 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Mini Purse (lined w/flap)  (Read 12754 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

yardenxanthe
« on: December 22, 2003 06:15:03 AM »

I have a bunch of 5-inch fabric squares laying around because before I made purses, I made a ton of quilts with 5-inch blocks.  

So, instructions for a mini-purse/wallet (you can use these instructions for any purse/messenger bag, though, just use bigger pieces of fabric).

1.  Use six pieces of fabric cut in the same size.  

I am using the cherries fabric for the outside and the pink gingham for the inside.  Two cherries pieces are the outside, two gingham pieces are the inside lining, and one cherry and one gingham go together to make the flap.

2.  Sew sets right sides together on three sides (leaving one side completely open), and:  

*For the outside (cherries), sew a loop between the two pieces (the big part of the loop between the right sides of the fabric).  I used a hair elastic, but you could use a ribbon or a piece of stretchy lace, etc.  I sew over the loop several times just to make sure it is secure.

*For the lining pieces (gingham), leave a big gap at the bottom.  (so, the top is completely open, and the bottom is mostly open).

*For the flap, sew three sides together and then turn inside out, sew across top (to keep it all straight and to make things easier).  

3.  Leave the outside part turned inside out.  Put the flap inside it (cherries facing cherries) with the exposed sewing at the top.  Pin below the line of stitches on the flap (so when you turn it all inside out, you won't see that part).

3b.  If you want to make a bigger purse, I would put loops on the sides at this point -- put the loops face down into the inside of the purse (on the sides) and pin.  (Alternately, you could attach a strap to the sides -- just tuck the strap inside the purse and pin at the sides)

4.  Turn the lining right side out.  Stick it inside the purse (make sure the lining part of the flap is facing the lining -- gingham to gingham).  Pin.

5.  Sew around the top edge of the purse.  I always sew over the loops and the edges of the flap a couple times for reinforcement (not that big of a deal on a mini purse, but do it if you are making a bigger purse).  Remove pins.

6.  Turn inside out through that hole you left in the lining.

7.  Turn the edges of the hole in the lining in, and sew across.  Stick the lining inside the purse, and iron the whole thing.

8.  Sew a button on the flap, loop the elastic over the button, and there's your cute mini-purse.

The paisley and the pink purse in these pics have the loops on the sides.  If you wanted to use this mini-purse with a strap, you would just tie the strap to these loops.  I personally like the loops because it gives you the option of strap length (adjustable!) or allows you to just use these without straps like a wallet (or a clutch, if the purse is bigger).  

Once again, I used the button & loop closure thing here -- I love that method (thanks again, ponytail shank button)!  You could sew the button on before you sew the flap pieces together if you want (that's what I did with the paisley purse) for a more finished look (no sewing visible on the lining side of the flap).

These take about fifteen to twenty minutes.  Not bad!

Would be great gifties, or great wrapping for a jewelry-type gift, or good for putting your credit cards, cash & lipstick in without having to lug a bulky purse around.  I'm sure you can come up with your own clever uses for a mini purse!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

firefly

the giant tree starts as a tiny sprout.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2003 09:26:23 AM »

you are without question the bag/purse/pack goddess.  thanks for the inspiration!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

artzyfartzy
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2003 09:27:41 AM »

excellent tutorial!wow.. greatttt pics too
THIS ROCKS   Logged

comfits
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2003 09:31:49 AM »

wow!!  thanks for the photo tutorial!!!  i've collected a bunch of scrap fabric from a blanket that i made.  i'll have to give your project a try cuz i'm in desperate need of simple projects to do to get me accostumed to my sewing machine!  thank you!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
yardenxanthe
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2003 08:22:01 AM »

Yeah, this project is really simple and satisfying.

Actually, I just came to the conclusion yesterday that lining a purse is actually easier than not lining it.  A lot less sewing involved, and it ends up looking more finished.

The small scale of this purse makes it really simple.  It would be a great second or third project for a beginner.

Ha ha, I'm only like two steps past being a beginner myself!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

firehead4

Wanna Make Something of It?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2003 11:44:34 AM »

Ha ha, I'm only like two steps past being a beginner myself!

You are too modest, dear Wink
« Last Edit: December 23, 2003 11:45:46 AM by firehead4 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Practicing Random Acts of Creativity

Follow Me at...
http://artforcoffeessake.blogspot.com/
http://youtu.be/Q73M5hiqktA
Debzy

I'm a Scouser!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2003 04:05:34 AM »

they are beautiful! great job!
i love how you've combined your fabrics. and just think of the button possibilities!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself.
-George Bernard Shaw
MissRoo
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2003 09:51:48 PM »

I just made some of these little purses from my favorite fabric scraps, they're so much fun. Thanks for the great instructions, yardenxanthe!

They're 4 inches wide and 3 inches in length. My first attempt at this was too small, so I had trouble keeping the lining and flap in place under the machine. I suppose I could hand stitch them (that just occurred to me now - hahaha - where would we be without machines??).
Instead of elastic, I used ribbon one and for the rest I used embroidery floss that I braided to make it a bit thicker.  I made enough of a loop in the embroidery floss to give space for the button, then tied a knot.

Can't wait to try a bigger version of this! Thanks again!! Smiley

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Debzy

I'm a Scouser!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2003 11:08:04 AM »

am loving the japanese gentlemen missroo!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Life isn't about finding yourself. Life is about creating yourself.
-George Bernard Shaw
yardenxanthe
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2003 11:11:36 AM »

Yay, those are way cute!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Baked Beans
How to Make Chicken Marsala
How to Make Chicken Quesadilla
How to Make Moist Banana Bread
How to Make Sauerkraut
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...