Class/Challenge/House Pride: Astronomy Class
Project Name: A 50s Party dress for AnnoyingLittleSister
Brief Description: With this dress I starting working on a pattern for dresses for ALS, so she can have some nice little 50s dresses to wear when we go to town. This dress is made mainly from an old cotton sheet, and multicolored fabric left over from a project from semesters ago. It sports a long sash that ties in the back. Not only is the contrasting fabric a blend of different colors, but it looks like the trails that fireworks make in the sky.
I loved making the turned hemline with the contrasting fabric. This is the first time I've ever done that. I'm especially proud that the little ribbon over the seam worked so well.
Class/Challenge/House Pride: Care of Magical Creatures Class (CoMC)
Project Name: A 50s Sailing dress for AnnoyingLittleSister
Brief Description: With this dress I'm still fighting with that horrible "easy" pattern to make a working 50s little girl dress pattern. Today's little girl dresses all have empire waistlines and tea length skirts. It was physically easy to shorten the dress to knee length (though it was super freaky) but the waistline had to be dropped significantly. That was something new for me. At the moment the pattern is nothing like it came in the package. This dress I made blue, with a coordinating blue speckle patterned fabric. I did a turned hemline with the speckled fabric, and machine appliqued a cute sailboat on the skirt. It's her aquatic dress.
Class/Challenge/House Pride: Bertie Bott Bouillabaisse
Project Name: A hair flower in honor of France.
Brief Description: It was decided that I need many more hair flowers. So when I saw this project I knew it was going to be fun. The zinc flag is blue, white, and red, so I got flowers that we're blue white and red. I started by super gluing all of the flowers and their bases to the stems. Then I cut and arranged them the way I wanted them and hot glued them together. Then I hot glued the flowers to the clip and learned that hot glue can and will melt plastic flower stems. Finally I did tons of touch up for which my fingers are sporting hot glue blisters.
Hot glue is HOT.
But it was all worth it to have such an adorable hair flower in the colors of the French flag.
Class/Challenge/House Pride: Herbology Class
Project Name: Purple hair flowers and hair bows
Brief Description: It was brought to my attention that I have several lavender shirts to wear with my white skirt but no flowers or bows to match. I started by making a purple hair flower exactly as I did my French flag inspired hair flower. Even though this took 30 minutes to do I had purple ribbon so I decided to keep going. I have SIGNIFICANTLY more respect for hair bows as an art form now. The 8 bows I made took ALL day to make. I hate hot glue. These are actually all sewn, but I used hot glue to anchor them to clips. After I finished I noticed one of the girls' hair bow's clip was covered in ribbon before the bow was glued on. I'll try that next time. This time I was just glad to finish them. Rofl
Class/Challenge/House Pride: History of Magic Class (HoM)
Project Name: Alice in Wonderland hair flower
Brief Description: One of my favorite books has always been Alice in Wonderland. And one of my favorite scenes has always been Painting the Roses Red. For this project I mounted 2 silk white roses onto a clip as with my other hair flowers. While doing so I learned what a pill it is to have to glue flowers back together because I forgot to super glue the bases and flowers to the stem. I cut too close and they all fell apart. After getting them all glued together and to the clip I worked them over with hot glue to build up solid glue "drips" that would look like paint drips after I painted them. I hung it up outside and worked really hard to do a shitty job painting the flowers. I wanted to have sections that had entirely too much paint while also having areas that didn't receive any paint at all. Just as the cards did a horrible job painting the roses.
After they dried from the second coat I wrote my favorite quotes on them with a thin felt tipped sharpie. There is "We're painting the roses red" on the top, and on the underside of the roses it says "Off with their heads".
Project Name: Shelves to be organized
Brief Description: I have desperately been needing shelves to help organize my craft supply goodness. I didn't want to build wooden shelves for this Victorian farmhouse inspired bedroom so I headed to the store for metal shelf brackets. All they had were closet shelf brackets with the hook on the front. Well, I didn't WANT hooks on the fronts! I brought them home and used my metal cutting blade on my circular saw to cut off the hooks. Then I used my bench sander to round off the cut ends. I hung them brackets and painted them flat black. While the brackets were drying I painted my shelf boards with the same shade of paint as my bedroom walls. Toasted Oatmeal. I mounted a short shelf over my dresser to hold my makeup and new shoes and accessories. The long shelf I hung over the door the length of the wall to hold various craft supplies. They work WONDERFULLY, and I have floor space to do my yoga again.
For my shelf making book selection I would like to offer "Step-by-Step Cabinets & Shelves" by Better Homes & Gardens. They put out wonderful how to books.