This game board carry envelope is for my cousin's boyfriend, he goes to a game board evening every week and normally wraps them up in plastic bags to keep them dry and protected, so she asked if I would make a more sustainable version!
The outer layer is waterproof, it's oilcloth - the stuff for making table cloths from! Since Kyle loves to travel and his favorite board game (and mine! Ticket to Ride) is based on a map, this print seemed appropriate
Most of the work in this project isn't actually in the final piece; I spent hours practicing working with this thick shiny slippy fabric, and had to redesign the construction I wanted to have to be workable for me (I'm sure a more experienced seamstress would have been ok!)
I've also never added a buckle before, and the button on the stopper is inset to sit flat (K is for Kyle, his name :-) ) which I've never done before... So a lot of firsts!
It's also twice lined, one in stuffing to add protection and one in fabric. All the lining is properly structured to mimic the bag.
We measured up a load of game boxes to work out the best size to for most of them (they are a couple of outliers, but to fit those the bag would have been unwieldy, not useful for all the rest...)
The binding took an age, that's another area I practiced loads before starting on the real thing. I've done binding before but always felt it wasn't great and let projects down, whereas I was pretty pleased with how this turned out
And a little pocket inside to store cards or what not. That was going to be placket but I ran out of time (I only fished up the day before Kyle's birthday) so it's just simple patch.
The label is in that weird place to act as a patch over a small last minute snipping accident (I genuinely thought I was going to cry for a second before I thought of putting the lable over it!)
My cousin was super pleased with it and I guess I'll hear later if the birthday boy agrees too!!
I know this is a pretty simple project compared too some of the awesome stuff that you guys do, but I'm not much of a machine sewer so I was really pleased that it came out ok! Thanks for looking