I recently did some embroidery for a book I made. It's for a Call of Cthulhu game, and is the grimoire of a progressive lady character.
I did a general floral border surrounding on of the Lovecraftian Elder Signs. I have read that this is the actual Elder Sign that Lovecraft designed, but the Derleth one, with the five point star around a candle is the one that got published first. The actual Elder Sign is just an outline around a brown painted area.
The glue spots from where I glued the fabric to the cover of the book don't show up except when I take a picture. Go figure. I could not manage to take a picture where they didn't show up. My apologies.
I hadn't really done much floral patterns before, but I really like making leaves, and roses, etc. I feel like my grandma must be smirking down at me. She tried to teach me to do floral stuff when I was a kid, but I guess I was too much of a tomboy to be interested then. I'm betting she would love this, then ask me why I embroidered a twig for the cover of the book.
My friend has Chron's Disease pretty severely. She has to have a colostomy put in this January, and since I'm a nurse, I've dealt with a lot of patients with this at work. I figured, I could make her a teddy bear, with it's very own colostomy bag, to take into surgery with her, and maybe make it a little less scary.
Here is the bear with it's night gown on.
Here is the bear with its own plushy colostomy. (The bear did well with it's surgery!)
Here is a closeup of the bag side of the appliance.
The two halves attached.
Here's the wafer side, with the bear's stoma.
Here are the two halves together.
I gave it to her this evening, and she loved it. She's going to take it in on her surgery day. (I'll go too, but the bear is definitely the hero here!)
I made the actual bag out of nylon skin toned material that you usually use to make slips out of. I used iron on interfacing on the back (inside of bag) to get it to feel the right way. It moves and feels almost like a real plastic colostomy bag. I used a small round Glad plastic tupperware style container, that I cut and sewed to each side. On the skin side, I used a piece of felt to mimic the sticky wafer, and red sweatshirt material to mimic a stoma.
The boot thing was pretty easy, and since there is so much interest in that process, here are some pictures of it.
I soaked them in water for a while, then shimmed them with wood. Every morning, and evening, I added another shim, or tightened the existing ones up. After four days, the shoes were stretched enough to allow me to wear them comfortably.
I made the shrug jacket, the vest, and shorts out of preexisting thrift finds.
The shrug jacket was shortened and darted to fit better. I embroidered some cogs and gears on the sleeve cuffs.
The shirt was originally a brown suede 1980s mini skirt. I used it for fabric, and made up the vest front out of it, and added brass buttons, and a pocket watch pocket. The back was made of 4 way black stretch I had sitting around. The straps are shoe laces, that are laced through button holes.
The shorts were long normal pants that I had before I lost a lot of weight. I cut them short, created huge pockets out of the excess fabric, with snap closures.
I even messed with the boots. They were a size 8, and too small. I soaked them in water, and used wooden shims to keep stretching them for several days. They now fit my larger feet.
I needed clothing badly this last spring because I lost a massive amount of weight. I ended up at a thrift store, and got cheap stuff, and reworked it. I am sorry I don't have any before pics because I have a mind like a soggy sponge.
The shirt was originally a shirt dress form the Duran Duran, Wild Boyz, period. I cut it short, and used the extra fabric to add in extra shoulder straps and the like. I used all the extra buttons from the skirt half, too.
The shorts were originally long pants, but I cut and hemmed them. I used the extra fabric to create large patch pockets to hold all my junk, making snap closures.
Sadly, I am going to have to do it all over again, because I am back on track, and happily gaining the weight I lost back. That just means more thrift shopping! You can never be unhappy with that.
(Spats came from Ebay, shoes were a 99 cent find at St. Vincents thrift, scarves came from FolksLife.)
I created this coat from Etiya's Etek pattern, or in spite of it, I suppose.
I would never recommend this pattern to anyone. I got the coat made in spite of the pattern. There is no size information on the pattern, and I found it runs incredibly small. To look like the picture on the pattern, I had to cut 10 inches off the bottom of the coat, and cut down the giant belled sleeve ends.
I found the sleeves, gussets, and arm holes didn't match, and were very uncomfortable, and reworked those, and put in much bigger gussets. The collar didn't look right, so I did my own.
The darting on the main body pieces did do nicely, but if I was curvier they would have caused the whole thing to be way too small.
The fabric came from a friend, and I found gold trim at an outlet store for less than a buck a yard. It's fully lined, with internal patch pockets for wallets and phone.
It was a nice project because I learned a lot about what I liked and didn't like in the way a coat fits, and that was worth the effort. I think it turned out wonderful despite it all.