This UFO has been haunting my sewing desk since 2009. It was my second quilting project ever, after a straight forward childhood project that consisted of rectangles sewn together. I had definitely bitten off way more than I could chew at that time. I'd never heard of rotary cutters so I cut every single square in this blanket with scissors, using a cardstock template. I had also prewashed all the fabric and when it came out of the machine it was a huge tangled mess. I actually had to cut the fabrics loose, I couldn't untangle them. After that I discovered that those bias seams are not as easy as they look and that my squares differed in size because after cutting dozens of them, my template gradually became smaller as I accidentally cut off tiny strips of it every time I used it. Then last year I decided I just wanted to get it done, even with all it's imperfections. It's wrinkled in the photos because the minute I finished it, my boyfriend claimed it. The fabric is from Red Rooster Fabrics, I think the pattern is from Bear Paw Designs.
For scale. The finished quilt is about 120 by 120 cm
Detailed pictures. You can't see it very well, but I decided to hand quilt. I quilted every other block, I improvised the stitches based on the fabric of the block. I particularly like the sashiko embroidery inspired striped blocks. The texture just feels amazing. I am certain that I'm going to do a larger sashiko type project in the future.
Binding and backing.
This was my first time using a binding from the same type of fabric as the blanket, instead of using a more sturdy fabric. I'm not impressed with how it feels and I'm not sure I'd do it again. I sewed the binding on completely by hand.