lol! I'm keeping track of mine on a much-edited blog post, too.
Well, here are July's ~ the pineapple one looked like it would be so hard and it was really so easy, and the other one looked like it would be easy... and I probably frogged that thing ten times. I came to realize she was increasing each side by three's, I couldn't stand the asymetry of that, lol, so I increased by four's. I also had to fiddle with the triangles and my border is different, but at least it's DONE! Whew.
Now, onward to January's.
Homerof2: I like that bright green and purple! craftADDchick: The black and white color scheme is very handsome!
This was SO MUCH FUN to knit! I didn't know how to do the invisible cast on to start it so I just did that method where you make a loop over your thumb, and I didn't know how to do a garter graft to finish it, so again, I winged it, with the tail and a tapestry needle, but I think it turned out fine. It's an ingenious pattern...it did take some counting at first but once I got used to it and figured out what was happening I didn't need to refer to the instructions for every row. I love what it does to variegated yarn, and I want to knit more! (back to the craft store....)
OK, first pic: first vertical "pole" thingy is made, I've yarned over in preparation of the second one.
second pic: I've dipped hook around the stitch on the first row, (into the back, around, out the front) and yarned over and drawn up a loop.
third pic: Folded the project in half in hopes of showing more clearly how the yarn's going around that first row stitch (note, it's OK if you have to pull the top of the work down to follow the hook temporarily)
fourth pic: finished and back up at the top.
Hope that helps! The part where you say "when I do the next yo I had to do it up at the top row again because that is where my working yarn is..." I'm not sure I follow, because wherever your hook tip is, the working yarn should be right there, too, even if it's traveling rather far afield for the duration of the stitch.
I came up wtih this, might make a little lapghan with it or something using different color beetles.
Ladybug Square: With red: Ch 3, join into a ring Working in ring: Ch 3 to count as the first dc, 11 more dc (total of 12) Ch 3 to count as first dc, do another dc in same st, then do 2 dc in each stitch around (total of 24)
With Green: round 1: *sc, hdc,2 dc in one st, ch 3, 2 dc in one st, hdc, sc* four times round 2: dc around, doing *2 dc in one st, ch3, 2 dc in one st* at the corners
Embroider on the features with black. (I used a daisy-chain stitch for the center line, and made X's enclosed in boxes for the spots. Next one I do I will use daisy-chain stitch to make the antennae too, I think, so it's all fastened down neatly.
OK, I came up with this version this morning ~ on the one I was trying to do using dc for the second round of the middle portion. Changing to pink, I added a row of sc, then did each petal over 3 stitches as follows: from the first stitch: ch 4 into the second stitch: triple, ch 3, triple, ch 4, then sl st into the third stitch sl stitch into the next one to begin again Carry on around. I ended up with eight petals, but I'm sure you could fiddle it to 7 easily enough. I like the big petals on this, I put it next to yesterday's to show the size diff. Now I'm wondering how it would felt, being rather open. *wanders off to find wool*
I'm only guessing but made try sc about three rounds ch4 sl st to make a ring rnd 1: 11 sc into ring (12 sc) rnd 2: 2 sc in each sc around (24 sc) rnd 3: 2 sv in each sc around, except for last sc, do three sc in last one (makes 49 sc) that makes a center then join on a new colour and try something like *1sc, 2 hdc, 1 dc, 1 double double crochet (don't know what you guys call them), 1dc, 2hdc, 1sc* for each petal (seven stitches for each petal, seven petals)
Hope that helps. I haven't tested it but it should work.
Hi again, I've tested my pattern and it doesn't work! Sorry! firstly the middle ripples due to over increasing. And also the petals are too rounded. If you make a middle, increasing till you have 21(?) then try *ch2, 1dc, ch3, 1dc in same spot as first dc, 1dc, sc* for each petal 7 times around Hope thats ok
edit: tried it, sorta works - not sure if it looks like what you want
OK, I had to try this out ~ I followed round one and two from the first set of directions quoted above, then followed the petal pattern from the second set. I love this flower! (ecreations' photo was a lot nicer than mine, lol, but my flower is lovely in person. Also, pink.)
It came out about 4 and a half inches wide. I tried making another one using dc for the second middle round, and I liked that for giving a really big center, but couldn't find a way to get the petals to look correspondingly large. Not sure it needs it anyway. This one turned out a really nice size for most projects, I think.