It looks fabulous. Thank you very much for sharing it with us. I wanted to make it a few weeks ago, but I was short on time. So I decided to make a two layer version, strawberry and chocolate. Here in the Netherlands most people don't use artificial flavouring, so I found a recipe for strawberry cake with real strawberries in it: http://adashofsass.com/2009/03/01/homemade-strawberry-cake/ I had no idea how much I would need, so I used one box of frozen strawberries, calculated how much of the other ingredients I needed and ended with a cake that was about twice as high as I needed it. Being even shorter on time than I expected I ended up using only the strawberry layer, covering it with cream cheese and the tastiest strawberries I've encountered this season.
When my thesis is finished I will definitely bake a celebratory cake and make all layers. The recipe with real strawberries is delicious. I used about 60% of the ingredients the first time, so I think 30 or 40 percent is enough for a 24cm/9.5" cake pan. The cake turned out only slightly pink-ish, so adding a few drops of food colouring is wise if you want the spectacular look.
I love that dress. And the series too. The costuming is so gorgeous I'm completely distracted from the storyline.
Today I visited the costuming livejournal community for the first time in over a year and found out someone made the white dress. (I think both dresses use the same pattern.) She used Butterick B4827, but made the pattern for the hood herself. I think the best way to make it is making a big hood from an old sheet or something, see how it drapes and adjust until you're happy with it.
It's cute! I made the same pattern twice and had the problem with the shoulders too. If I make it again I will move the armscye a bit lower. The shoulders were slipping, but the lower part of the armscye was uncomfortable at my armpits. (I do have quite broad shoulders though.) The distance between the fullest part of my bust and the shoulders is different from the measurements used in the pattern. The widest part of the bodice slipped up to the fullest part of my bust. But maybe that's not the problem for you, my version was quite heavily boned and closer fitting.
It looks like you used a single needle and stitched twice at the waistband. You did a great job, but a twin needle would give a better result. And the stitches stretch a little, and that's really nice for jersey.
Anyone ever heard of foofshop.com ? They make amazing MacBook cases, I fell in love the first time I saw them. At the moment 42 $AU is not that much, 24 euro. (For a laptop case quite reasonable.) But international shipping and handling add another 22.50 $AU and that's less fun. Besides, I don't own a Mac but a normal PC laptop. And why spend money if you have some fun fabrics laying around and no class because your professor is at a conference?
For the first project I used black polar fleece and a Ikea pillowcase from my parents. (They make those things awfully small, I had to make my parents new ones because their pillows wouldn't fit in it. I kept the original ones because I liked the print.)
Actually I made the first a while ago, and made a few more since. I showed it to my best friend and he liked to have one too. I used another Ikea pillowcase (my little brother's) and a piece of blue polar fleece. Recently I bought a portable harddisk and to protect it I made a mini case. Plain dark blue cotton and white polar fleece. It's kinda boring, maybe I'll put an applique or some embroidery on it.
The design is very simple, most likely you can find out how to make it yourself. The hardest part is the ease. The first one is quite snug, the second too loose. I used 1 cm for the first and 2.5 cm for the second. The harddisk case is something in between, but because it is much smaller it's a bit loose too. There is no good way too calculate it. For the small one I made the lining a little bit smaller, otherwise it wouldn't fit in the outer fabric. With the big covers it was not necessary, though you can do it if you have a very thick lining. Also I would like them a bit longer, but I have no idea how much would work best. If you have questions, I'll try to answer them. (I try to visit the forum regularly, but I also try to do get some crafting done before my summer break is over.)
One was floor length, and I lock-stitched it. (Serging is the word in America, I believe.) That's the easiest to do in case of nearly 7 meters seam that will be somewhere hardly anyone will look.
The second was for a two layer, knee-length skirt. The layers were a bit thin, and when I hemmed them they would become a bit stiff, and that would look ugly. That's why I folded the hem a little bit (0.5 cm) to the back and zigzagged it on the edge.
On an other project I had quite good results with zigzagging the raw edge, basting it to the back, ironing and than sewing. After ironing it had a nice, smooth line. It can save your life, using an iron.
Oh, the third circle skirt I made was a knit, so I didn't hem it. It wouldn't fray, and I didn't expect it would look better hemmed.
Actually, I have no idea how it looks. I've never made it, I just remembered it was in an old sewing course my grandma gave me long time ago. I think the cape is quite full, it will come close to the one in the photo. The hood is not that big, just normal fit, as far as I can see. (But most hoods on clothes I buy are tighter, or don't even fit, so it is bigger than that.)