I made this bag for LeapFeetFirst in the IYP swap. It has a finished measurement of 17"X12" and is 4 inches wide at the bottom. I used zippers and handles recovered from discarded thrift store bags. The leather bottom and trim is cut from a leather coat, also purchased at the thrift store. The top zip closure has a double zipper pull so it can be opened from either end, a feature I really enjoy on any bag I use.
The handles were a new experience for me as the back and the front don't match. The front handles are attached with tabs. The back are sew into the body of the purse along a line of patchwork. The small zip pocket on the back is sized for a cell phone. I decided not to include a zip pocket on the interior of the bag and just went with pockets along the sides in a fun text print. The bag is quilted in black, green and blue threads with random circular motions.
This sweater didn't actually take me that long to knit; it was just frustrating! I discovered I really do not enjoy intarsia knitting, but the results of my ripping and tearing were worth it! Take a look!
I made this for my bff's 5 year old for Christmas. He will be the coolest kid in kindergarten!
Stashbusting and gift-giving are two of my favorite things so I spent some time in my new craft room doing both! The first, this giant bag, was stitched for the life-guard at our local early bird swim.
I used an upholstery weight fabric, a two way zipper and purse handles salvaged from bags purchased at the thrift store and a shower curtain for the inner lining. I used a combination of old sheets and fusible interfacing for the lining between the bag exterior and the plastic lining. This is, of course, a bag for swimming gear! She loved it!
This bag got my sewing jones going, so I decided to stitch up a pattern I've had for a couple of years -- The Wallie. I am not happy with the inner pockets, so I will try again, being a bit more exact. I really enjoyed the construction of these, though -- it was an approach I hadn't thought of.
I wish I had taken better pictures of this because I modified the pattern a bit after making my first one. It's a tad larger and I used free motion quilting and thin batting to give the bag some heft. I also added a magnetic snap to the front flap. Thanks for looking!
I received this pattern from Lindyv321 in the OWS and I made this:
I really enjoyed putting this together, though I will make some changes in how I assemble the bag next time around. The pattern was clearly either a translation or written by a non-native English speaker so I struggled with directions periodically. This lack of clarity would make this sewing project a bit difficult for beginners, but if you can install a zipper and you are willing to rip things out and rework them, it's possible! Thanks for looking!
I took the planner cover apart, cut it down, then used the scrappy string quilt block technique to cover the outside. I reattached the vinyl spine, covered the insides with more snow dyed fabric, then inserted elastic (hidden by more fabric!) in the corners. At the last minute, I decided to preserve the card and ID slots which also provide a side pocket for a notebook when traveling. I finished it with bias tape made from -- you guessed it -- more snow dyed fabric! This stitching isn't my greatest effort, but the re-construction of this day planner cover to fit my Kindle was an interesting process. And I LOVE ptarmic's fabric.
Thanks for looking!
edit: it was awesome reading in bed last night as I didn't have to hold my Kindle the whole time -- the cover stood up nicely against a pillow and all I had to do was click the pages!