Okay, I'm totally unsatisfied with my first resin casting.
First, I'll go ahead and say that I'm not making jewelry, I'm making a set of two replacement turn-signal lenses for a 63 dodge car. The originals from this car are all cracked and gross looking, and replacements are very expensive and hard to find.
So, we bought a silicone mold-making kit (containing a jar of base and a bottle of catalyst) and mixed them as per the directions, then poured the mold. The mold came out off-white, no problem, whatever, that works. We cut the mold open, pulled out the original, mixed up the resin, poured it in, squeezed out bubbles, put more in, etc. and finally it was full. Let it sit for nearly two days and popped the mold open...and then noticed something weird.
Our "crystal clear" resin is YELLOW. The tape on the outside of the mold? Also yellow. And the little droplets of resin on top of the mold? Yellow. The extra resin, poured in a cup and let to set up just for fun? Clear as crystal.
Why did my mold turn my resin yellow?!?! Is there any way at all to have it NOT do this, without having to go spend another $30 on silicone, and without delaying this project so far that the lenses aren't done before my brother-in-law's wedding? They're for him, btw, for his "getaway" car.
I just want this project to work!