I finally finished a queen sized quilt and 3 quilted pillows for my aunt! They are for her ocean themed bedroom.This took me way longer than it should have, because I wasn't happy with my initial fabric purchases and ended up not using about half of what I first bought. I am much happier with this more cohesive color palette, to which I then added in solids in a range of blues, greens, aquas, and tans to flesh it out.
The quilt itself is simple 5 inch patchwork with a single border. After quilting (which I sent out to a long armer) I used the Quilt in a Day Scallops, Vines & Waves template to cut scallops around the border (a design element requested by my aunt) and then did the (bias) binding in a dark navy that has tiny white pindots. And I actually hand stitched it, you know I love me some machine stitched binding but I actually did it "right" on this one
Extra wide backing fabric made it a lot easier. I love not piecing a backing on occasion!
Cutting the scallops. This part wasn't really as hard as I expected! Missouri Quilt Co has a great video on using the Scallop template.
Close-ups of the amazing shell quilting done by Good Knight Quilts
I also made 3 quilted pillows to go along with this. Two larger 24 inch square pillows and a smaller 16 inch square one. For the larger ones I decided to reduce the size of the original patchwork down to 2.5 inch squares, and actually used a lot of already pieced and/or cut squares I had left over from the quilt. I quilted one with a diagonal grid and it took so long. For the other large one I swapped my machines out for the machine that has a cool serpentine stitch, I really like the look of the wavy stitching on this one! And for the smaller pillow, which I wanted to emphasize the border fabric from the quilt, I did some loopy free motion quilting.
Close-ups of the quilting:
Diagonal cross hatch
I had originally bought several yards of this green seaweed fabric to use as a border on the quilt, but then I decided to go in a more "blue" direction. I used a little bit of this fabric in the quilt itself and the pillows, but still had plenty left over so I used it to back the large pillows. I did a basic envelope style backing on the pillows after quilting them with batting and muslin. Then I used the same pindot fabric for binding on the pillows that I'd used on the quilt.
I remembered to add my label, but did kind of a crappy job sewing it on. Grr!
These are currently on their way to my aunt, I can't wait to hear what she says!