I was going to knit a wreath for our front door, but realized I wasn't going to have time. So I had another idea...
I wrapped a styrolite ring with dark green yarn I had left over from an old project, and put some hobby glue on the back to steady it up. Then I wrapped it with some shiny red ribbon, and stuck in berries. Then, obviously, I glued on tiny dinosaurs.
(I bought the dinosaurs on ebay a few weeks ago with the idea to make Christmas tree ornaments with them - I have a bunch left.)
A couple of hours ago, I got this urge... So I found a bunch of green scraps and made a tea cozy. I may need to line it to get full heat-retaining capabilities, but it's pretty thick and warm. The teapot I made it for has a pretty high handle/knob on the lid, which is why it has a little pointy top. It's about eight or ten inches high. Made on 4,5 mm wooden dpns, a 5 mm circ and two 5 mm straights (when I split it up to make holes for the handle and spout.)
I now have tons and tons of ends to weave in - a lot of the scraps weren't enough to do each stripe, so...
When I went to pick up a bunch of glazed stuff, it turned out the oven had broken, so only a few things were done. Fortunately, one of them was this candlestick I made for my sister for Christmas.
Closeup of the little figures: It's her, her husband, their kids, and their two turtles. They all have their initials slip painted on, along with eyes and mouths.
I also made this votive holder. It was originally higher and shaped and fancy, and meant to be something else entirely, but it turned out it got a bit thinner up top than I'd intended, so I cut it off and did an experiment. The top shaping and windows are scalpelled, and the bricks scratched in. It's glazed pale gray.
Finally, two bowls. The smaller one is about three and a half inches high, the bigger is almost nine inches across.
I've gotten really into this color combo, of black and turquoise. It feels sort of 50s - the level of retro depends on the shape.The bigger one was pretty difficult to dip, which is why the line between the colors isn't as even as I might have wished. (The smaller one is intended to be glazed on a slant.) But a friend who saw it said "You made that? Really? It looks like something you would buy in a store!" which, as craftsters know, is a compliment from non-craftsters.
Just thought I'd post a picture of a long-term project. I spread the squares out on my couch to see how much was actually there, and took out my camera while I was at it.
You can see in my user icon that I've been at this for a while. And initially I hadn't even decided on the black border, so I've had to add that on afterwards. Which is way more boring than the original square-making.
I started in late August, I think, and it's been added on in bursts and spurts. It's been dormant for a bit now, but I did a little bit of work today.
It's all different color combinations, patterns, and sizes. It's totally intentional - I wanted to experiment with a non-uniform afghan. Some squares are more obnoxious than others, and some are downright dull, but it's been interesting. (I don't think there are any two that are the same.) It's given me some ideas for when and if I make a matchymatchy afghan or bedspread.
Putting it all together is going to be interesting - I plan on patching up holes with small amounts of black shell blocks. We'll see. I still have a bit of yarn left, so I'm not entirely sure how big it'll be when it's done.
Two things I glazed a while ago and forgot to post:
This is a mug/bowl and saucer/ashtray thingy - the inset in the picture is the bottom of the bowl, it says ARR... The skull was slip painted in black and the whole thing was then glazed white. The lettering is made with stamps. I gave both of them to my best friend (craftster user Annann ) for her birthday. They were immediately filled with candy and then pretty quickly emptied by a bunch of us... The mug was intended to have a handle, but it had dried just a little bit too much and started to crack a bit as I started attaching the handle, so I went the safer route and stopped.
I made some like these these one of the first days I learned to throw pots (you can see the first ones here http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=193970.msg2044537#msg2044537) and finally got around to making a more even set. They're not matched in height or size, because I didn't measure, but I quite like them. I realized after glazing that I forgot to put leaves on the cherries, but they're still pretty, I think. I explained it in the other thread, but: They're slip painted black, the cherry blossoms scratched out, and then glazed red.
I suppose technically this is a WIP, because it's part of a pair, and I haven't done the second one yet...
The color is a bit darker and warmer in real life, but flash is not my friend. It's just slightly less than one skein of Drops Alaska 100% wool - I got it really cheap at a small LYS because the color is being discontinued. (The color is #16, in case anyone's interested.)
It's a simple cable, with k3p1 rib around the parts you can't see.