Long ago in a galaxy far away, when my husband was away with the military, and I acutally had money and not a lot to do, I entertained myself by fabric shopping. This was when Joanns first started carrying polyester brocade, and I bought several yards of several different designs. Now I have all this material and I'm not sure what to do with it. I've used a little to make a vest, but that's it so far. I don't wear straight skirts and it's too heavy for a flared skirt. Pants I'm afraid would get ruined. I'm not sure what else to do. I'm planning on making a couple more vests, but that won't use up anywhere near all of it. Ideas?
I have no idea what I'm doing for Christmas presents this year. Usually I make everything for the extended family, but I'm not really feeling doing that this year. They're nice enough when I give them homemade gifts, but I know they never use them. My hours have been drastically cut back at work, and even though they'll start to go back up in December (I work retail), I think they're just going to go up to normal, instead of crazy holiday hours. In addition to that, my in-laws won't be able to visit this year because my MIL can't get the time off work. I'm not sure what my husband wants to do for them.
So, what can I do here? I'm getting down to the wire, and I'm still hoping I'm wrong and my hours will get crazy again, which will leave me minimal crafting time. Do I throw in the towel and give everyone $5 Starbucks cards?
I'm trying to make some curtains for my living room, and I've decided the best way to keep the heat out, since I'm not allowed to use window film, is to line some curtains with mylar blankets. I bought some online, and they're extremely thin. Thin like, single layer and see through. I'm trying to think what would be the best way to attach them to the curtains. Sewing would most likely be a pain and possibly wreck the material. So, what would work then? Stick on velcro? Snaps? Some other idea I haven't thought of? I need to figure out something soon, it's already 95 today! Thanks in advance.
I'm trying to make some window shades for my new apartment. My goal is to keep the place cooler in the summer, since we have a giant south facing window, and it is already 10 degrees warmer inside than it is outside. I'm not looking to do anything expensive, since part of the plan is to save money on air conditioning costs.
The window is recessed fairly deeply, but it goes all the way to the ceiling. It's 105 inches wide, and about 60 inches tall. I'm not sure how to make anything that wide, and I'm not sure how to make it in panels, since there's no wall above the window to attach anything to. Any ideas? Thanks!
I loved the ones I'd seen here on craftster, and I just had to make my own.
This wasn't too hard to do, but it was time consuming. I decided I didn't want a huge skirt, so I scaled it down so it's about a 3/4 circle. The squares are 4'x4', I used 65 of them for the bottom tier. I started gathering from the bottom up, purple to light purple to blue, instead of from the top down, and I think this made the gathering process much easier. What do you think? (As I hit "preview," a Jpop song called "Rainbows" started playing on my computer! Ha ha! )
I've been working on a rather serger intensive project the last few weeks, and now my blade no longer cuts. I know I can get a new one through Kenmore, but what I want to know is whether or not I need to replace both the upper and lower blades, or if replacing just the upper will work. The lower blade costs almost twice as much as the upper, so if I can put off replacing that, it would be nice. Or, is it possible to sharpen them? Thanks.
I made these a few years ago in my college art classes.
This was originally lowfired with a crackle glaze, but I didn't like the outcome, so I reglazed it with a shiny green called "dragonfly." I like the not quite shiny, not quite grainy finish. side view
The next one was inspired by those ceramic cats that look down off the edge off a shelf. It's raku fired with just the dragonfly glaze I used on the last one.
This image isn't that great, but it shows how far it goes below the ledge.
This one is fired with a glaze called "copper sand." The spiked ball on the tail is a seperate piece, I knew it would break off in the firing anyway, so I figured I should decide where to seperate it, rather than leaving it to random chance.
back. This shows the color best.
detail on eggs
tail end by itself
Finally, this was supposed to be a fountain, but I liked the copper raku glaze so much I used it anyway. Now it's holding dried roses.
I made this from an out of print Butterick pattern, but decided that I would get more use out of a top than a dress, since the skirt was a bit too straight for my tastes. It's a little difficult to see because it's such a dark color, but it's gathered under the bust. Don't mind the lines, they're from the sun shining through my blinds.