I used this recipe for about a year (in a front loading washer) and realized one major problem...
I started to notice that my clothes were losing their shape and becoming *literally* threadbare. My lint trap (after every load) could have been spun into a small blanket.
after a ton of research I discovered that these ingredients need HOT water in order to dissolve properly and not beat up your clothes like sand would.
Then I started making it into a gel formula. This is slightly more time consuming, but the result is much better. (for me, anyway)
You can find that recipe athttp://www.thefamilyhomestead.com/laundrysoap.htm
Keep in mind, you have to stir the gel before every use or it settles.
Hope this was useful!
Oh, and about trying other soaps, anything glycerin based didn't work for me, but I was grating the soap by hand <3