I love the binary scarf in the new issue of knitty, and I've been wanting to knit a hat for my friend's baby, so I made him a hat with his name spelled out in binary (reading all the way around the hat).
I used this converter to get the binary code. It's dk weight yarn on #6 circular needles, 100 stitches around, so there are 25 characters per row. I didn't have enough black yarn since I was using leftovers, which is why the top part is green.
I graphed the bots and put them on the bottom of a simple baby sweater for my friend's new baby, who should be getting here any old time now.
back, with SOL embroidery
I posted the chart and some really rough instructions on my site. The chart is 62 stitches across (and could easily be tweaked by adding more empty chairs to the left of Tom Servo), and would probably make a cute hat if one were so motivated.
I knit this baby hoodie for my best friend's baby-in-progress, using a pattern from the Yarn Girls kids book, with two strands of Sock Garden from KnitPicks, and it seemed kind of meh and boring. So I gave it horns and ears and a tail, and now I like it. Let the wild rumpus begin!
The tail and ears are crocheted in Eden by Moda Dea (thank you, clearance at Michael's). The horns are the sock yarn, knit on dpns.
I had two leftover buttons, so I put them over the tail.
I'm making matchbox shrine ornaments with tons of glitter, because I think of Christmas as my License to Glitter. Inspired by a project from Crafty Chica.
This was the first batch. They're more symmetrical than they look in the photo, I swear. I hope they read as 'folk art' and not as 'psychiatric day care craft therapy project' but I don't know anymore.
Second batch. I blanked out the baby's code name on the ultrasound one, since I linked this photo from my blog and didn't want anyone to think that my friend was actually naming her baby that. It's just a silly in-utero name. The Rock ones are a picture of my husband, age 9, holding a Steve Martin King Tut record with a look of total joy on his face along with with giant 70s glasses, Christmas 1977. The extra one is for his mom. I love that photo; I put it on his business card since he's a freelance music writer.
I have more matchboxes and more glitter, and will make more of these as soon as I get more color ink for my printer and can print the photos! I like the black & white photos for most things, but I want to do some saint icons and photo collages and those work better in color.
Knit in Rowan Cork on size 11. Wider than it is tall, because I ran out of yarn. I bought the yarn for something else, so I just knit until I ran out.
I'm going to back it with black Minky and bind the edges with black satin blanket binding. This will help with the curling problem at the edges (really, the side by Tom's head is straight, I just couldn't get it to stay flat for the photo), and hide the intarsia trainwreck on the back.
Now I need to find enough empty space around here to block it...
I used the monkey chart from the backpack design in the first SnB book, and slapped it onto a sweater design from The Yarn Girls Guide to Kid Knits.
This is my first serious intarsia project. It turned out....ok. The recipient isn't even two yet, so I figure her standards are pretty low. I warmed up by putting a heart on the sleeve, and then I thought the front looked boring so I charted a banana using clip art and pattern software (x-stitch professional). I was very happy when I found the banana buttons.
The yarn is from elann.com; it's Pisco by Katia, a cotton/acrylic/linen blend. I'm not excited about using it again; it tended to separate a lot. The collar and bottom edges are seed stitch, the rest is stockinette.
It's for my fairy godchild, and it will probably be huge on her. But, hey, monkeys! I'm sending it off to her along with a monkey dishtowel with Sublime Stitching designs for her mom.
There is an official correction to the pattern here: Later 'Gator Mitts: Under Mouth directions, 6th line down should read: Work even in garter stitch for 10(20, 26) rows. I got confused at that part, too.
I've written instructions for the Godzilla mod I did to this pattern:
Well, I finished the Christmas sweater...in time for Valentine's Day.
It's very nice. I used elann.com's peruvian wool yarn ($2.25!) in charcoal. My husband doesn't like color blocking much, so I skipped that part and made it solid grey.
It's not officially blocked here; I streamed the crap out of the shoulders using my iron, which has amazing powers of steam, and that got rid of the slight lumpiness in that area. I shortened the sleeve cap a bit; in the part at the end where you dec 1 at each end of every row, I dec 2 instead, and the measurements came out right with fewer rows up there.
I hereby predict that this will be my last adult sweater for a very long time...I don't have the attention span! More sweaters for the fairy godchild (almost a year and a half old) are the immediate plan.
I started out doing the gators, but then I started thinking about monsters, and came up with this by adding crochet dealies along the spine and crochet big sharp nasty teeth. I also made crochet circles to go behind and cup the googly eyes, since I thought the eyes I found were a bit small.
The yarn is that $2.49 Peruvian wool from elann.com.