To begin with, here is the finished product: Pretty nice you might say. How hard could that be, you ask.
Okay, you know how you have a brilliant idea at 2 am and then can't wait to get to it the next day? Well, this purse was like that for me. I wanted to have a stylish, cross-over purse, kinda like the front of a dress. I also just used bias tape for the 1st time the day before, so I knew I wanted that on the purse. So, I went fabric shopping and came up with a gorgeous retro floral, with a deep green as a lining. So, I started.
I wanted the lining to look pretty on the inside, so I started sewing the lining inside-out. And made some pockets.
Then I started sewing the shell wrong-side out so those seams wouldn't show. Then, I tried to put them together. That is where the doom started. It turned out to be a topological nightmare. It was like a Mobius strip. Every outside was also an inside! ARRRGGHH! Miserable. I took most of it apart and then sewed it by hand while watching Anthony Bourdain. That at least made it a little better. Here's a shot of the inside.
More detail of how the cross-over part looks:
Overhead view of the inside:
So, to sum-up: This purse would've been better as a dress top. It was very difficult, even though I really like the looks of it. Also I don't know what to do about the top, whether to leave it open, or add a clasp. Not ready for that yet. Wow, that was a long story.
Thanks for looking!