It took me a surprisingly long time to make a connection between my annoyance with getting flour all over my clothes when I bake and utilizing my sewing skills to make an apron. All I needed was your basic utilitarian apron, but there were so many cute options that I couldn't help going a little nuts.
This apron is made with the Bloomin' Apron pattern from Paisley Pincushion. The design is adorable and the pattern pieces themselves worked very well, but some parts of the directions were completely incomprehensible -- I ended up getting my mother to explain to me how to make a waistband and just doing what she said instead of trying to wrestle with the instructions. I also obviously decided to do away with the flower parts, though I do think they're really cute and I'm tempted to make another apron that includes them.
I started by choosing all the fabrics out of my mother's stash and cutting squares (I've forgotten exactly what size they are...6 inches maybe?). I then laid them out in a vaguely apronish shape and sewed them all together. Then I attached that layer of patchworked fabric to an old sheet by just doing stitchin the ditch quilting, so I effectively made a lining so there weren't raw seams everywhere. Then I just laid the pattern pieces out on that and cut away. After getting it together, the top part didn't fit right, so I made some darts at the bust. They look at a little awkward, but it's a vast improvement on how it looked before, so I'll just have to live with them.
I love the back, even though I'm slightly appalled at how big my butt looks in this picture. The pattern says that you make buttonholes in the ends of the crossed straps and then button them to the inside of the waistband, but I thought that was needlessly fiddly when it was perfectly easy to just sew the straps to the waistband and pull them over your head to put it on. But I added the red buttons anyway, just for decoration, because I thought they were adorable on the gingham straps.