So, my boyfriend and I are music majors, and after I knitted my mini french horn, he decided he wanted a full-size horn. Well, that was over a year ago, and when wondering what to get him for christmas, I decided to knit him the full size horn. I couldn't post sooner because he goes on my computer a lot, and I didnt' want him to find the pics, so here it is:
The body was made in a separate piece with size 4 double pointed needles in a tube with some increases for the bell.
THe bell increases:
The rotors (round things) I crotcheted (I can't spell today, I'm sorry) a couple of stitches and joined them in the round then half single crotcheted so the stitches were still on the hook like tunisian crotchet then transferred the stitches to a knitting needle and knitted from there. It sounds complicated but it was really easy.
Close up of that:
The bell cover I used the same technique to start like i did the rotors and then increased circularly until I had about the number of stitches that I cast off teh bell. It's not perfect and the edges are crinkly which bugs me a little, but I redid it around 3 times and got tired of it.
The boy trying to play it like it was real. Silly boy!
It was done in Red heart Super Saver in Grey cause i'm a poor college student, but I think it would be fun to do an oversize version and felt it! Maybe as a tuba....