It's been a long time since I've sewn. Many things have contributed to that (time, finances, etc), but probably the biggest factor was the problem with my fabric. See, I have a closet in my bedroom that has been dedicated to my "stash". Unfortunately, my stash has grown a bit, and as it has multiplied, it has also become quite unruly. So much so, that I couldn't find anything and had no idea what was even in the closet. It was difficult to justify buying fabric when the perfect thing was probably just stuffed in there somewhere.
Well, thank goodness for nesting (I'm 7+ months preggo), because the problem has been dealt with. (Of course, I created a few more problems along the way, but we'll deal with those later.) The fabric is now under control.
Over the course of the last 2 days, I spent more than six hours folding fabric onto comic book boards. I got the idea and instructions from this website: http://featheredfibers.wordpress.com/2008/02/28/fabric-stash-organization-and-tutorial/
Thankfully, Las Vegas has many comic book stores, so I hit up two of them and bought a bunch of the boards. A pack of 100 boards was under $10, so it wasn't too expensive, and I really like how it made the fabric more uniform. (For the record, I used about 250 boards total.)
After folding all the fabric, I sorted it by color, and then got permission from my husband to put it on the living room bookshelf. Most husbands probably wouldn't tolerate an entire bookshelf full of fabric in the living room, but mine didn't even blink at the idea. I think it's because I tolerate 4 huge computer monitors stuck on our bedroom wall. It's give and take in this marriage.
(The problem this created is that I now have a pile of books that have nowhere to go...but like I said...I'll deal with that later.)
So anyways, then I had to tackle the rest of the closet and the pieces of fabric that were too big or too small for the boards. I organized my scraps by color and then sorted them into little clear shoeboxes. The too big pieces I stacked in a bigger bucket and put it on the top shelf of the closet.
I also organized my notions: elastic, bias tape, rick-rack, piping, zippers, velcro, measuring tapes, embroidery floss, trim, etc. Some are in the drawers, and some are in the clear shoeboxes.
Overall, I'm absolutely THRILLED with my results. The project cost just about $50 total, and about 14 hours of work. Tomorrow I will have to figure out a plan for the books that were misplaced, but that will be simple compared to the work that went into this project.
And now, for the pictures...
All of my fabric folded onto boards and organized on my bookcase:
My closet all nice and neat:
And here's the before. Yes, almost all of that fabric was stuffed into this little closet...