This is only my second attempt at making a quilt, the first was a wall hanging for my mum.
My friends were having a baby and I decided a week before she was due that I wanted to make her a personalised quilt.
Very scary for me as I've never given anything I've sewed as a gift before (mum doesn't count, she has to love it ) and because I had given myself such a tight time frame, I was pretty worried about how it would turn out.
All in all, I'm happy with how it looked! My friends loved it which is the main thing, and while there were a few errors here and there, I think they just added to the whole uniqueness of it!
Next time I make one of these, I'm giving myself more than a week!
Thanks for looking Any comments / critique welcomed!
It was my mums birthday back in January and I wanted to make her something special. She collects all things roosters and I had this rooster fabric for months and months with the idea to make her a quilt out of it.
I ended up having 4 days to get this finished due to other things going on and slackness on my behalf. It changed from a quilt to a 1 metre x 1 metre throw rug, and aside from the few places I made mistakes in, I'm very happy with how it turned out considering I completely winged it, and was half convinced it would look like Crayola threw up on it!
The best part of course is that she loved it too
I just stitched in the ditch for the quilting part, using a half cm batting inside. I attempted to hand stitch the binding down and was successful for the first half, then it got to 3am the morning I was going to see her, so I gave up and machine stitched the rest, luckily you can't really tell!
The initials you can see are for each member of our family.
While I liked my first try, I had cards falling out all over the place, so it was back to the drawing board for me!
I wanted a tri fold purse, and I also wanted to avoid having to turn it inside out, so I did the two panels separately then sewed them together at the end. It turned out a bit more wonky than I would like, but I think it gives it character
I also inserted cardboard in all the pockets to make them more sturdy, which has worked well.
The grey material is actually from a pair of pants that my dad wore in the 70's, so that was a bit of a giggle cutting those up!
Any comments / suggestions for improvement would be greatly appreciated! I know the stitching is a bit rough, and the two panels don't line up exactly but I will get there!
I found this Robert Kaufman fabric on ebay and I knew I had to make a purse out of it. I used this wonderful tute : http://www.burdastyle.com/howtos/show/1652 to get me started, then I chopped and changed a bit to get what I wanted.
I'm happy with how it turned out, theres a few bits that arent finished as nicely as I would have hoped, but its not bad for a first attempt!
Sorry for the bad picture quality!
Back with coin pocket
The inside - it has 9 card slots, two pockets behind the card slots, a picture frame bit and a "secret" pocket behind the picture frame.
The inside all filled up
It was definately good practice because now I am already thinking of ways to improve the next one I make!
I had a red phone box fat quarter that I loved but had no idea what to do with, then I decided I needed a coin purse, and walah we have a telephone box coin purse.
It's a bit rough and not straight in a few places but it will do its job and I think it's cute, and I especially love the fact you can see the front of the phone and the back of the phone on either side Excuse the bad photo's.
Most of the pockets are crooked, and theres a bit at the top where the stitching has come undone, and I stiched too far over the top of the ticket pocket, but other than that I'm quite happy with how it turned out.
I also broke my first needle, which took longer than I thought it would so progress!