I've been wanting to try my hand at reupholstering, and I finally got my chance. I picked up a vintage chair from craigslist for $20, and it hung around for a few weeks before I got up the gumption to just go for it. First, let me show you how it turned out.
I'm so in love. This is how it started life, not in bad condition for its age. More on that in a minute.
In the process of taking it apart, I found a metal stamp on the bottom that said "B.L. Marble Co."
I did some google-fu and found out that the company merged with another company in 1965 and changed their name, so the chair is definitely pre-1965. My Mom thinks maybe late 50's. AWESOME!! The bones were good, the frame was definitely oak or something like that. I had a hard time with the tacks and wound up having to drill tiny holes to get the tacks started. Whew. Anyway, I'm going to write up a total blow-by-blow on my blog, but what do you think? My favorite part are the shiny silver studs. The ribbon was in a box of cool vintage sewing stuff my parents found for me at a garage sale. Best. Mom. Ever. After I sewed the squares together, I backed it with fusible batting to make it more sturdy. I was worried the regular cotton fabric wouldn't hold up well. Now it seems very strong!
I got home from work tonight and immediately had to purge my brain of the color/print combo idea that was rattling around in there. Do you guys ever get that? You MUST make it or your brain will not let you rest? Yeah. Anyway, here's the result!
I made a test pouch to see if this style would work for a friend who needs 7 pouches for a bridal party. I picked the fabrics for myself, the other pouches will have awesome fabric that's on it's way. What do you think?
I'm kind of a solitary worker-outer, so I've been doing yoga workouts on the wii at home. Even with a yoga mat, the tile floor gets pretty chilly. I couldn't find any patterns I liked that used the needle size I needed, so I came up with this. I'm so excited about my new yoga socks, I couldn't wait to write up the pattern and share it with you all. It's super duper easy, and I'm thrilled to have learned a new super Stretchy bind off method! What do you guys think?
I feel like I finally got some of my sewing mojo back! I kept thinking about a new design for a case for the first iPad. I really like the "roll up" design of the smart case for the ipad2, and kept mulling over how I could integrate that idea into my basic design, and this is what I came up with. Magnetic closure (totally safe, iPad is solid state), a pouch for the SD card reader/USB reader thingees, and a slot for my beloved stylus. What do you think? Anything you'd add or change?
My dear friend Kathy's little daughter Sophie turned two today! Her party is tomorrow, and I thought she'd like a new friend. I've never really done a stuffie before, so he's a bit wonky. But hey, she's two. I think she'll love him anyway. At least I hope so! The tutorial is from Two Little Hooligans. Her blog is a constant source of inspiration to me, and I LOVE her stuff. You can find it here: http://2littlehooligans.blogspot.com/2011/01/fat-quarter-friday-owl-stuffie-carrier.html The wings and around the eyes look black (bad pic), but it's actually navy blue. Sorry for the blurriness, this was the best shot I could get.
Yesterday was the ceremonial start to the Iditarod, and today was the official restart. That also means it's the start of the IKNITAROD! YAY! I know it's a 5 minute project, but it makes me very happy. I printed out my design for this year's Iknitarod on iron-on paper, bought a $6 canvas bag from Michael's, and voila! Normally I'd do something a lot grander, like sewing my own elaborate bag to accommodate my every need, but yeah. No time, no desire to do that. So yay $6 canvas bag!!
Rowan says "yay. More knitting when we could be mushing. Stupid human."
It's got a really wide base too, which is nice. Good size bag.
I bought a frame for a Bend, Oregon print I've been wanting to frame. The problem is, it turned out the double matting on the print made it too thick to fit inside the frame that I chose. The semi-good news? There was a little inner frame within the frame that took up space, so if I removed that then I could keep the matting on the print (which looked really nice). I looked at this little inner frame, which was really quite attractive. What a waste, I thought. I looked at the cardboard backing for the frame, and an explosion went off in my head. TO THE SEWING MACHINE!! Some careful measuring, cutting, four seams, hot glue, and about 30 minutes later, this is what I had:
I love it!!! I used the gnome fabric I had lying around from the yarn house, and picked out the big red polka dots from my sizeable stash. The ribbon was some vintage embroidered ribbon my parents found for me at a garage sale (probably 60's or 70's era. So cool!) and I hot glued a button at the center of the bow. What do you think?
I made a yarn house for my friend's birthday, since she's a new knitter. I LOVE encouraging new knitters. I pulled a picture of her and her daughter from facebook and appliqued it into a "window" and added a little applique door to complete the "house". I love how it turned out!!
Also in the spirit of "coping", I powered through finishing these gloves that were a WAY overdue xmas present. It was quite a learning experience, and I'm not afraid of knitting fingered gloves anymore. Not nearly as scary and difficult as it seems. Yay! New technique knowledge! The yarn is malabrigo sock in Ravelry Red. I can't say enough about this yarn. I wanted to keep them SOOO badly because it's so incredibly soft and lofty and Mmmmmmmmalabrigo.......But that's okay. I have more malabrigo sock in yummy delicious colors waiting for me in my stash.