Okay, so I found a tutorial on here for a Kimono Hoodie and decided that I wanted to make one for myself since I miss the hoodie I used to wear all the time. So, I went to Wal-Mart and chose some pretty floral kinda-looks-vintage flannel fabric (that announced to me in very large letters on the end of the bolt that it was FLAMMABLE, which was kind of scary) and some purple cotton with a subtle white paisley print that I thought went well together. Flannel was $2.50 a yard, cotton was $1.00 a yard so I bought what was left of that. XD I get it home and start my project.
Well, I sewed just about all day yesterday-- measuring, cutting, ironing (stupid trim drove me CRAZY with all the ironing the raw edges under!) I got it pieced together and put it on... Hood was too short, so it was pulling the top of my kimono up if I put the hood up (and since I'd already made a mistake on the hood once, I was kind of ticked). Disappointed, I went to bed.
And was hit with inspiration on how to fix my hood problem in the middle of the night. So, this morning I got up and hacked two slits in my hood. I cut two diamond-shaped wedge of fabric and sewed them into the hood, tried it on and HUZZAH! It fit!
(The Front, as modeled by a coat hangar)
Well, after that bit of ridiculous design, who can stop? So, I added pockets and then pulled out an old shirt I'd been trying to figure out how to salvage for awhile. The sparkly raised letters on the shirt were actually making the fabric rip itself apart after so many years of wear. So, I made a patch for the back of my Kimono Hoodie, and transformed it into the "Bad Girl" Kimono.
The Back (you can see the largest of the diamond-shaped fabric pieces I used to adjust the hood)
Close up of my recon patch. I cut out the area of the shirt that had the letters, mutilated some more of the fabric to make it look like I wanted it to be all ripped, pinned it to a section of my purple fabric and sewed around the edge twice with a zig-zag stitch. Then I cut it out and sewed it to the back with the zig-zag stitch as well.
Me, hood down
Me, hood up (I look like some sort of very happy Ringwraith with the hood up. DEEP hood)
Back with hood up (don't mind my ugly bathroom wallpaper, I didn't choose it)
Back with hood down
The only thing left to do to it is put a few of those Chinese "frog" closures up the front (because the little tie I put on it doesn't hold it closed for beans), as a friend of mine suggested. Since my fiance has the car and won't get home until nearly 7, I decided to go ahead and share early.
By the way, this is only my second sewing project without having my mom's help-- and the second project I've ever not bled on. @_@ I'm so proud of myself!