So I already posted some pictures of the finished print in my last post, but I just found all these WIP shots I took and thought they deserved a thread of their own.
To prepare my linoleum I sanded it with a very fine grade of sandpaper to get rid of any tiny nicks and to take the sharpness off the edges so they wouldn't cut the felts on the press. I then stained it with a mixture of etching inks and mineral spirits so there'd be a larger contrast between areas I'd cut away and areas I hadn't. I used red--it gives just the barest tinge of color to the block.
My original drawing. You can see I didn't take the time to fully plan it out before I started printing, which caused me some headaches later on!
And the back of the drawing, where I traced the image using a light table once I remembered my image would be reversed when printed.
The missing steps here are of me tracing the drawing yet again with a transfer sheet between it and my linoleum, and then going over parts of that drawing with marker so it showed up better/didn't smear, and so that I wouldn't get confused about what I was supposed to carve away and what was supposed to stay.
I've just started carving my plate here--you can see I got lazy about filling in with markers.
An action shot of my bench hook, which keeps the block from sliding away while you're carving, and all of my tools. I had a Speedball tool and a fancy German tool. I used my Speedball most, because it had the smallest and sharpest tip, but the German tool was pretty nice.
A later shot of my plate. I used a wide-tipped marker (in this case, a Prismacolor) to lightly go over the plate in areas after I carved so I could see where ink would go and adjust as necessary.
And a picture of the resultant print.
ETA: I meant to put that if anyone has any questions about the process, feel free to ask!