Alright folks, I will be working more on the large wolf WIP I've got going here, but I got distracted, and now I'm doing this one
I promise to finish it before doing anything else. Most of these will just be "end of day" updates, more than that would be crazy.
16x20 watercolor and India Ink on watercolor paper.Day 1
I spent much of day 1 beating my head on a wall hoping for inspiration. Then, I got a great sketch of a dancing gypsey, and decided to run for it.
Here is the sketch (I dont know what dripped on it...):
So, after cleaning house all day (yuck), I cut down some oversized paper and sketched her out. After lots of adjustments to costume and working the pose out just right, I started inking.
Here's the inking in progress -
And the finished ink -
Then I layed down the first few layers of skin tones, and the blue undertones for black hair -
And thus ended day one. I usually paint the background first, so this is a bit out of order for me, but I couldn't wait to get her hair painted.Day 2
Day two was spent figuring out color schemes for her costuming. I wanted her to be colorful and vibrant, but without looking too motley. So, I chose blues and purples. Started rendering the hair, there will be dozens of layers of black and blue before it's finished, but the largest part was done today. I've spent about 3 hours on the hair alone today. I also mixed a purple for her top and started to lay it down and layer it. Still needs more rendering, but it's a good base. Went for a bright cobalt for her head scarf, will probably do the same for her waist scarf to keep it cohesive.Day 3
Did a few more layers on the skin and hair, adding more depth. Made a few changes to my original color plan, and brought in a red skirt layer. The purple top looked out of place, so I used the two colors I had mixed to make the purple for her top two skirt layers. I got a good deal of the top skirt done, as well as her scarf wrap. Got the first few layers of the red skirt done. By tomorrow it will look much more red and not so pink
Started to work on the jewelry as well. Day 4
I spent most of day 4 trying to cheer up my little one, who's working really hard on teething. She broke her first tooth today, so we're all very happy
Here she is:
Yay! My tiny inspiration.
So, not a whole lot of work done today. About 15 layers on the black skirt, and (almost) done with the red one. No doubt I'll add more once it's all done, I always do. Made another change to the color scheme. I had originally thought to add a yellow ochre to the bottom skirt, something really light and airy to lift her up off the ground visually... now that I look at it I'm thinking more of a pale version of the color of her top, since that would be more cohesive with the rest of the painting. Not completely set yet, I've still got a few hours work on the black skirt before I need to have my mind made up. I could also do it the super pale blue I've got planned for the scarf she's dancing with... hmm. Lol, now you know what my mind is like while I'm working, very indecisive.
More work done on the black skirt, base colors for the dancing scarf done. The black skirt posed a bit of a problem, because of all of the coins hanging from the red skirt, it was very time consuming to paint a few dozen layers of black without messing them up and without causing too much streaking to the black. There's still more work to do on it, but I will wait till the background is finished to put more color on her dress. Having all of the white gone makes a big difference in the other colors on the paper.