(Hoping I'm doing this right - first time entering a challenge and uploading photos) long and wordy
I didn't read about the challenge until maybe 2 1/2 weeks ago. I thought about what I would do for a couple of days that wasn't expected or something someone else was likely to do. One night while I was trying to sleep I was going through in my head objects to cozy and thought maybe my bread maker but that seemed too obvious as it's almost like putting a cover on a sewing machine. The next thing that popped in my head to do was my fire extinguisher. I have it sitting on top of my soda fridge (yes I drink so much soda that it has it's own little fridge - like one of those college dorm room fridges except super old) right next to a first aid kit two or three steps away from the stove where I've had a couple of fires (and made the smoke detector go off dozens) but luckily Hubby was home and we didn't have to use it. The fire extinguisher came with a mounting thing for a wall that I chose not to use so it's way easier to get too and I don't damage the home owner's precious wood paneling.
I used unbleached muslin because I can't crochet or knit. I too measurements of the f.e. and also traced it onto craft paper. I originally was going to use a clearance sale place mat cut apart but the inside had something along the lines of interfacing that kept snagging on the pokey bits of the handle and nozzle of the f.e.. I used crappy fabric markers that I was planning on throwing away to paint the fire and details. The front I did a little differently than the back. The front I drew with pencil the design then colored the fire with yellow then red and lined the flames with brown and then wet the brown to make it smear and not be so fine so it would look a little like shadowing and to add more dimension. Then I wet almost the entire muslin and put more red and yellow down (you can see it above the black lines of the flames) to help blend the colors and make it look more like the heat from the flames. The back I wet the muslin first and then put the color down and after it dried overnight I outlined with some brown and wet it and smeared it and then dried it and put the black down with less definition than the flames on the front. The back and the front are a little different because I wasn't happy with the front and wanted to put the color down in a different way to see if it came out more like I had envisioned it. This all took several days because I let it air dry in between the steps. I put the whole thing in a glass pan and put on tea bags and coffee grounds with water overnight to make the cozy seem like it's actually been in or around a fire. I wanted it to look beat up and smoke and watered damaged a little. When the tea and coffee was rinsed out and dried I used a Tim Holtz Distressing Ink pad in Weathered Wood to make soot on mostly the areas where the flames weren't and a little on the flames the bottom edge of the cozy. I took glow-in-the-dark paint in a tube and stamped FIRE onto the front and filled it in with more from the bottle. So when it's dark, or just a little light from the glow of the fire you need to put out, you can still see where the exinguisher is because it will glow FIRE. The paint markers help stiffen the muslin so it stands up on it's own. The round top of the tube of fabric is floppy and full enough to be able to grab it like the scruff of a cat to rip it off and put that fire out.
edited to add the new glow in the dark flames that I added to the word Fire. The cozy is laying on a notebook to be angled upwards towards the camera so I would be able to rest the camera on a steady item to not have it blurred. The paint is still wet as I just put in on right before photographing it. It will still be that bright after it is dried, just the the word fire already is. Not adjusted in Photoshop to enhance color only cropping to make the pic smaller. The cozy is also not flattened out so hence the rippled look.