Oh.. hilarious! No... you're not the only one. We discovered this a few years ago while decorating Christmas cookies. Now my demented kids and DH find it funny to put these on the reindeer cookies, because it makes them look like they've been shot! LOL
I agree that yours looks better than the way overpriced one!
Two questions -
How many pop cans did you use??
And does anyone know if things made with logos on it, like the pop cans, can be made and sold without problems with copyright thingys or having to pay for permission to use them or something?
Well, I got about 4-5 tiles out of each can. There are 120 tiles on this mirror. I cut more than I needed, because I wanted to be able to pick and choose the pieces as I set it up, but it ended up being about 25-30 cans.
As far as the copyright issue goes, I know that there is a lady who makes some amazing jewelry out of punched pieces from bottlecaps. She ran into some problems with Coca-Cola, and is currently still in a bit of a legal battle with them. It's a very fine line, because in one way you are using a trademarked logo, but in another you are also using what is considered post-consumer waste. I would love to hear if anyone has a bit more insight on the topic. Thanks again to everyone for the comments... I'm flattered!
I just have to ask...did you wear gloves when cutting the cans? If not, any injuries?
When the can tiles are laid, are there any sharp edges exposed or do they just butt up next to each other level?
It looks so flush that I would almost think that you folded under the edges on the tiles.
No, actually. I didn't wear gloves, and I kept swearing that I was going to be torn to pieces by the time I finished this project, but amazingly, I never cut myself once! The edges are exposed, but they are so very close to each other (within 1/16") that it's not an issue.
when i opened your picture i siad outloud "holy crap". it is very very awsome! You could make them and sell them on ebay. People would by it. I would.
Y'know, so many people have said this to me, and I have thought about making them to sell, but I would be worried about possible trademark infringement. I know a lot of people have run into that with these sort of projects, especially with Coca-Cola.
Did the can "tiles" warp when you were hammering them?
How long did it take you to make this!
You did a great job and should be really proud.
Thanks again, to everyone! No, the can tiles did not warp, they stayed nice and flat. It took us about 2 weeks from start to finish. That included making the frame too. I was cutting the cans over that entire time period, a few here and there. The actual process of putting the tiles down only took one afternoon, about 4 hours, I'd say.
Oh, thanks for all the comments...I'm glad everyone likes this is as much as I do! So more details. Let's see, aside from constructing the frame, it's pretty simple really. Just time consuming. I cut the cans using good kitchen shears (Pampered Chef actually), but then I switched to using a sharp nail-like thing that my husband had, and I scored lines along a metal straight-edge. Then one or two bends snapped them easily. I used a template made from card-stock to keep them all nice and equal. I had pre-measured the frame to calculate how big I needed the pieces to be.You need to flatten the can pieces, and the best way to do that it to just run them over the edge of a countertop backwards until it sits straight. Once I had all the pieces, I laid them out on the frame to arrange them the way I wanted them. Then I started from each corner tacking the pieces down with contact adhesive (Goop). I put just a thin layer on each one so it wouldn't get lumpy. I worked my way in from each side, switching back and forth, trimming the pieces a tiny bit here and there to make sure they all fit evenly. When they were all tacked down, it was time to add the nails. I supposed that you could glue them down a bit better than I did, and skip the nails all-together, but I liked how the nails looked, so I had planned to do that anyway. To put the nails in, I used that same sharp nail-type thing to pre-drill the holes into each corner of the pieces. The nails we used were tiny (1/4 inch) carpet tacks. They would be very hard to hold onto while hammering them in, so the pilot holes were necessary. Then we just stuck the nails into the holes and hammered them the rest of the way in. Once that was all done, we could put the mirror in. If you purchase a mirror for this project, I would suggest trying to find one that the mirror can be removed from. If not, you will need to be very careful hammering the nails in. There are 480 nails on my mirror frame. That was a LOT of hammering, and it could be a lot of stress on the mirror. Just a thought. I'm so flattered to have inspired others to do this! As I said, it was time-consuming, but a LOT of fun, and now my favorite conversation piece in my house. I want to make more, but on a smaller scale, maybe picture frames, which would be cool too! I can't wait to see what others do!! Thanks again!