This is my first sewing project with a pattern, all by myself (usually my mom would help, but not this time)!
I originally wanted to make Satine's black diamonds costume, but realized that I should wait until the summer to do all that crazy beading. I couldn't keep myself away from the pattern I had bought (Simplicity 5006), so I decided to make a corset just for fun!
I made a mock-up first, made some changes to it (brought in the waist area) and then decided to make things more difficult for myself (of course). I wanted to line the thing and have a strength layer in it, which the pattern didn't provide for. So I used thin black cotton for the lining, thick cotton + interfacing for the strength (to which I attached plastic cable ties for boning) and this amazing brocade for the fashion layer. I french seamed the brocade, to help prevent fraying/falling apart, and put it all together. The hardest part was definitely the neckline, its really hard to get a nice point and nice curves when you've got that many layers.
So onto the pictures!
This one isn't impeded by anything else, but I hadn't laced it up all the way, so it doesn't look as nice.http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j116/kantorlight/corset0102a.jpg
This one shows the colors the best, but is myspace-y and the camera strap got in the way, sorry.http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j116/kantorlight/corset0101a.jpg
And the back.http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j116/kantorlight/corset0103.jpg