I spent about two weeks working on this on and off.
I got several records for cheep at the thrift store on half-price day and did some trial and error having my dad see if they would cut any good on his saw table. Nope. I ended up just using a box cutter and it hardly took a minute to slice 'em up. The worse part was trying to cut the handles.
I used my dad's drill for all the holes.
The red thread was some cheep hemp from Hobby Lobby I just threaded around the edges for decoration. I intended it originally to go thru the material but it was too thick and wouldn't pull thru.
The material is just hot-glued on with some apparently incredibly strong hot-glue my sister had. And my sister did the lining for me (I suck with a sewing machine). It's two pieces sewn together and when she turned it right-side-out, instead of sewing up the open edge she sewed the bottom part and turned it into a pocket. There's little pockets inside, one sized especially for my cellphone and a couple for pens.
The handles were attached with some 16mm split rings from Hobby Lobby. I used 8 on each end of the handle to kind of help even out any stress there might be, maybe, hopefully prolonging its life a little.
The bottom, to make it sturdy, is made with a couple record pieces glued together for strength; I covered them with material then glued them to the inside of the bottom.
I'm thinking about adding a toggle or something so it stays closed better, but for now I just flap the handles over to one side.
And I need to figure out a way to fix the sides b/c the material likes to pook out.
All in all I only payed $5 on materials. And I like this bag so much more than any I could have payed $20 for at Wal-Mart.
I think that should cover the major points.
(Sorry, couldn't post any pics, this is my first post and it said I could only post URLs.)
T'morrow I'm going to make a matching wallet. Just you wait to see that baby!